Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,496 pages of information and 233,940 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Fulton Miller (1848-1904)
1904 Obituary 
JOHN FULTON MILLER died at his residence, Greenoakhill, Mount Vernon, Lanarkshire, on November 18, 1904. He was born in Crossmyloof in 1848.
Choosing engineering for his vocation, he served his apprenticeship with J. & G. Thomson, afterwards of Clydebank, in the old Clydebank Engineering Works, Finnieston Street, and in the Govan shipyard of that world-famed firm.
In 1870 he became a partner in his father's firm of James Miller & Company, rivet, bolt, and nut manufacturers. On the conversion of that firm into the Rivet, Bolt, and Nut Company, Ltd., in 1895, and the transference of the works to Coatbridge, he was appointed chairman, and continued to hold that position until his death.
He was also senior partner of George Miller & Sons, coalmasters, and for ten years previous to 1892 he was managing partner to the engineering works of Miller & Company, in Coatbridge. He was a Justice of the Peace for the county of the city of Glasgow and for Lanarkshire, and a director of many commercial and benevolent institutions of the city.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1882, and was a member of the Local Reception Committee in Glasgow, upon the occasion of the visit of the Iron and Steel Institute to that city in 1901.