Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,007 pages of information and 212,853 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sir Lindsay Wood (1834-1920)
1872 Mining Engineer, Hetton Colliery, Hetton, near Fence Houses
1921 Obituary 
Sir LINDSAY WOOD, Bart., was born at Killingworth Hall, Durham, in 1834, being the youngest son of Nicholas Wood, formerly a Member of Council of this Institution.
He was educated at the Royal Kepier Grammar School, Houghton-le-Spring, Durham, and King's College, London.
After serving his apprenticeship at the Hetton Collieries, of which his father was then manager, he received his first appointment in 1858 as viewer at North Hetton Colliery, and subsequently at the Hetton Collieries.
On his father's death in 1866 he became Managing Director of the Hetton Collieries, and continued to occupy this position until the sale of the undertaking to Lord Joicey's firm in 1911.
He was a director of several colliery companies, and of the Newcastle Electric Supply Co., the Hendon Paper Works, and the North-Eastern Railway Co. He was also mining engineer to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and to Greenwich Hospital. He rendered useful service on various Royal Commissions, and was President of the Durham Coalowners' Association. He was a Justice of the Peace and a Deputy-Lieutenant, and was Sheriff in 1889. A Baronetcy was conferred on him in 1897.
His death took place at his residence at Chester-le-Street, on 22nd September 1920, at the age of eighty-six.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1868.