Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,946 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Trinity Square, Tower Hill, London.
1854 The railway was a joint venture between the London and Blackwall Railway and the Eastern Counties Railway and built the line from London's Fenchurch Street and Bishopsgate stations to Tilbury via Stratford, Barking and Grays
By 1856 the line had been extended to Southend.
1858 a more direct route from Fenchurch Street to Barking via Plaistow and East Ham was opened and service from Bishopsgate was withdrawn.
1862 The company was incorporated, and owns 79 miles of line, and jointly with others, 8 more miles. 
1884 The line was extended to Shoeburyness.
Between 1885 and 1888 a new shorter route between Barking and Pitsea via Upminster was constructed and between 1892 and 1893 a single line branch was constructed from Romford to Grays via Upminster.
1912 the railway was bought by the Midland Railway from under the noses of the nearby Great Eastern Railway. The line was known for its use of 4-4-2 tank engines which were later displaced by 2-6-4Ts after it had been absorbed into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923.