Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Louis John Hunt (1874-1948)
LOUIS JOHN HUNT, who died on the 14th May, 1948, at the age of 73, received his engineering education at King's College, London. His practical career began in 1895, when he joined the staff of Easton, Anderson and Goolden, which firm he left in 1899 to become an assistant engineer in the Light and Power Department of Siemens Bros, and Co. His principal post (1901) was that of Chief Electrical Engineer to the Sandycroft Foundry Co. at Chester, where he remained for a long period coincident with the immense development of the use of electricity in mines, especially in metalliferous mines overseas. Thus he became well known to engineers in many parts of the world, and one heard news of him from friends in Nepal, Bolivia, and other out-of-the-way places. The design of electrical machinery was Hunt's chief ability, and he invented and introduced the cascade-type of induction motor, which met with great success and was well suited to mining applications. In this work he was on friendly terms with C. P. Steinmetz and many other famous designers who were appointed to report on his designs prior to obtaining a licence to manufacture. A few years ago he became a director of the Electric Construction Company and was in charge of the London office.
All who met Hunt, in whatever sphere they worked or from whatever remote spot they came, whether in business or at a City Company's Court, at a consultation, at lunch, or at home, fell under the spell of his quiet but genial manner. He enjoyed the good things of this world modestly and he saw to it that others shared in the gracious life he used so well.
He joined The Institution as an Associate Member in 1901 and was elected a Member in 1907. His papers on "A New Type of Induction Motor" and "The Cascade Induction Motor" were published in the Journal in 1907 and 1914; for the second of these he was awarded the Hopkinson Premium. He served on the Benevolent Fund Committee 1943-46.