Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,805 pages of information and 211,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Motor Manufacturing Co of Coventry
Successor to the Great Horseless Carriage Co
MMC were the initials of the Motor Manufacturing Co of Coventry, after the restructuring of Lawson's companies. They made motorcycles at the Motor Mills, from 1898 to 1904.
1898 January. Company registered.
1898 At the 1898 Stanley Cycle Show they exhibited a 'Sandringham' model with an engine by George Iden the Works Manager. It had silent worm gear and for speeds and final drive was by a centrally placed chain.
Production began in 1898 with MMC tricycles and copies of the De Dion engine. The copy was used by the British Army in the Boer War. They also advertised the Motocyclette, with the engine over the front wheel, which it drove by belt.
1898 August. 'Making good progress with their works'. Making Panhard cars, Bollee tandems, De Dion tricycles and Werner bicycles. Iden is the manager.
1898 One floor was dedicated to building Werner motorcycles
1900 of 47, Holborn-viaduct, E.C. Works : Motor Mills, Coventry. Regd. Jan. 12, 1898. Dirs., John H. Gretton (Chairman), R. Hoffmann, M. H. Buckea, T. Robinson (Man. Dir.) Sec., Alfred Burgess. (T.A.: Propel, London or Coventry.) Oil Motors, Oil Engines, Motor Car Makers, Brakes, Frames, Wheels, Steering Gear and all component parts.
They did not produce machines for long, but engine manufacture continued into the next century.
1901 September. Details of the 30-hp car.
1902 May 1st. EGM reported. Accounts to 31st October delayed due to discussions with Daimler about merging. Need more money so plans to re-organise shares etc. John H. Gretton resigns and Roger W. Wallace appointed as chairman of the company.
1902 October. Detailed report on their cars.
1902 October. Details of the 8-hp voiturette.
1904 June. The company went into liquidation. 
1905 Company wound up. '...the Motor Manufacturing Co Limited. Notice is hereby given, that by an Order made by the High Court of Justice upon the application of Harold de Vaux Brougham, the Official Receiver and Provisional Liquidator of the above named Company, and dated the 1st day of February, 1905, it was ordered that the following persons be appointed a committee of inspection to act with the Official Receiver as Provisional Liquidator of the said Company, namely:— Ernest Albert Stephens, of Regent House, Alma-street, Coventry, in the county of Warwick (holding a General Power of Attorney from the Clipper Tyre Company Limited); George Iden, of Hopedale, Spencer Park, Coventry aforesaid; Charles William Gray, of 1, Stanhope-street, Boston-road, London (holding a General Power of Attorney from R. Harrison and Sons Limited); David Jackson, of 29, Carlton-road, Putney, London; and William Orton Attree, of 48, Clissold-road, Stoke Newington, London....'
Their building were sold to Daimler for £14,000.
Also see Motor Manufacturing Co (1907)