Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,078 pages of information and 227,775 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
ImJD 2019 MV MoSI 101.jpg|thumb|F2/1 jet engine. 1943?]]
Note: This is a sub-section of Metropolitan-Vickers
See also Metropolitan-Vickers: Gas Turbines.
1938 The Air Ministry gave Metropolitan-Vickers a contract for development work on the engine, designated B.10, and named 'Betty'. This was not envisaged as a jet engine.
1939 The team, including Metrovick engineers led by David Smith, started work on a flyable design, the F.1.
1939 After Whittle's demonstration of his jet engine, Smith decided to end development of the F.1 and move on to a pure-jet instead, starting work on the otherwise similar F.2 in July 1940.
1940 the Ministry of Aircraft Production asked Metropolitan-Vickers to undertake the development of an axial-flow jet engine. The outcome was the now famous F.2 type, in which the gases flowed straight through the engine.
1942 A flyable version, the F.2/1, received its test rating in 1942 and was flown on an Avro Lancaster test-bed on 29 June 1943, mounted in the rear fuselage.
1943 On November 13, 1943, a prototype Gloster Meteor fighter equipped with F2 engines made a flight from Farnborough.
The F.2 was considered to be too complex; Metrovick then re-engineered the design once again to produce roughly double the power, while at the same time starting work on a much larger design, the Metrovick F.9 Sapphire (see below).
Karl Baumann designed the F3 ducted-fan augmentor for the exhaust of an F.2 engine. The augmentor was manufactured as a private venture but it was 15 years before its time. The simple jet was better suited to military aircraft and civil aircraft had a long way to go before requiring the augmentor. When by-pass engines were developed, the front-fan arrangement was the preferred option.
Rolls-Royce were successfully producing Whittle-type engines with centrifugal compressors, but the Ministry of Aircraft Production saw that the furure lay in axial flow, and placed an order with R-R to produce the Avon engine. Six months later the MAP negotiated with M-V to produce an engine of similar thrust, to be called the Sapphire. This would provide a fall-back position in the event of problems arising with the R-R Avon.
M-V's Dr. D. M. Smith departed from the compressor blade designs derived from Dr. Griffith's early work, and introduced a radically different type, which proved to be a major advance in terms of stalling characteristics.
1947-8 Despite successful developments, culminating in the promising Sapphire engine, Metropolitan-Vickers decided to drop out of the aero-engine business. At the behest of the Ministry of Supply, Metropolitan-Vickers handed over the Sapphire project to Armstrong Siddeley Motors. M-V completed the first ten development engines and then worked closely with Armstrong Siddeley Motors. The Sapphire went on to be highly successful, powering the Gloster Javelin FAW 1, 2, 4, & 7, Hawker Hunter F2 & F5, and Handley Page Victor B1. It was also built under licence by the Curtiss-Wright Corporation as the J.65, 13,000 examples of which powered six types of combat aircraft.
See also AEI: Jet Engines