
of Millom, Cumberland
Established 1866.
1890 The company was registered on 23 September, to acquire the properties and businesses of the Cumberland Iron Mining and Smelting Co, and the Askam and Mouzell Iron Co.
1901 The Askam Ironworks consisted of four furnaces — a more modern 90-feet furnace, and three older furnaces 75 feet high.
1908 The company owns a one-third interest in the Alquife Mines and Railway Co. [1]
1922 Capital £1,100,000. Employees: 650. Directors: George Mure Ritchie (Chairman), Robert Heath (Vice-Chairman ), James Campbell, Frank Holt, Stephen Hart Jackson and John Merritt Wade. Gen. Manager: John Graham. Sec.: Henry James Kirby.
1935 See Millom and Askam Hematite Iron Co:1935 Review
1951 Nationalised under the Iron and Steel Act; became part of the Iron and Steel Corporation of Great Britain[2]
1958 Private sale of the company by the Holding and Realization Agency[3].
1959 The name of Millom and Askam Hematite Iron Co Ltd was changed to Millom Hematite Ore and Iron Co Ltd.
1960 the largest furnace on site started work, known as No.1 furnace and
1963 At this time Cranleigh Group owned Millom Hematite Ore and Iron which purchased Gjers, Mills and Co and Barrow Ironworks from the Holding and Realization Agency[4]. The purchasers intended to close Barrow at an early date but undertook to keep Gjers operating for at least 2 years, despite the depressed state of trade.
1968 Both the mine and the ironworks at Millom closed.