Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,969 pages of information and 233,612 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1844 Parliament authorised the Eastern Counties Railway to extend to Cambridge and to Brandon in Norfolk where an end-on connection would offer a through route to Norwich. This route opened on 29 July 1845.
The Norfolk Railway also leased the Lowestoft Railway and Harbour Co, and built a branch line to Dereham and Fakenham, opening in 1846 and 1849 respectively.
Other short lengths opened soon afterwards:
1848 The Eastern Counties Railway took over operation of the line.
1862 Amalgamated with others to form the Great Eastern Railway.