Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,588 pages of information and 217,187 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
See also -
Panhard et Levassor was established as a car manufacturing concern in about 1890 by Rene Panhard and Emile Levassor. The company was founded when René Panhard and Emile Levassor decided to move from making woodworking machines to automobiles.
1890 Their first car used a Daimler engine and was offered in 1890.
The first car imported in to England was a 4 hp Panhard and Levassor for Evelyn Ellis.
1899 Details of the Panhard light car. Engine by Krebs, one of their directors.
1906 Agents in UK: W. and G. Du Cros
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices in the UK see the 1917 Red Book
1951 Exhibitor at the 1951 Motor Show in the Car Section.
After assembling 2CV panel trucks for Citroën in order to utilize capacity in face of falling sales, and raising operating cash by selling ownership progressively to Citroën, respectively to its then mother company Michelin (full control as of 1965).
1965 Citroën took control of Panhard's factory in Rheims.
1967 The last Panhard passenger car was built. The civilian branch was absorbed by Citroën, and the marque was retired.
Since 1968 Panhard has only made armoured vehicles.. Many of its military products end up on the civilian market via third sources and as military/government surplus vehicles.
After the 1974 takeover of Citroën by Peugeot, Panhard became part of PSA (Peugeot Société Anonyme).
2005 Panhard was acquired by Auverland
The company is now owned by Renault Trucks Defense. The combined company now uses the Panhard name; this was decided based on studies indicating that the Panhard name had better brand recognition worldwide than the Auverland name.