Parsons' White Brass
Parsons' White Brass was an alloy widely used for lining the bearings of engines and other machines.
It was developed by Perceval Moses Parsons and initially manufactured by him c.1862.
It was also produced by C. S. Osborne, but in 1875 production was taken over by the White Brass Co under the superintendence of P. M. Parsons' son Percy Rexford Parsons, and later by the Manganese Bronze and Brass Co (founded by P. M. Parsons in 1881).
Parsons' White Brass and Parsons' Manganese Bronze were sold in the USA by The William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co of Philadelphia.
One source gives the composition of Parsons' White Brass as 68% tin, 30% zinc, 1% copper, and 1% lead
Sources of Information
- 'Mechanical Technology' by G. F. Charnock, 2nd edition revised and enlarged by F. W. Partington, 1934