Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,170 pages of information and 233,417 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Belmont Works, Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Telephone: Doncaster 1993. Telegraphic Address: "Pegler, Doncaster". Also at Southwark Street, London, SE1
Manufacturer of taps and fittings for plumbing and sanitary engineers, steam, hot water and mechanical engineers.
1899 Frank Pegler inherited the Northern Rubber Co but he was keen to expand the business. He had already started a merchant company in Glasgow. He met Fred Birchall, who had gained experience as a brass founder, starting work aged 13 at the Hexthorpe Brass and Iron works in Doncaster, and rose through the ranks to become Manager and then went to work for brass founders Mckay in Glasgow. Frank agreed to put up the money for Fred to start a new operation to supply his merchandising company. Pegler Brothers and Co was established.
Using the latest methods at the time Peglers soon expanded from manufacturing products for the steam industry to manufacturing other complex valves. One of the catalysts for this expansion was the screw down tap. The tap was invented in 1845 but had not been successfully mass-produced before Pegler's inception.
1904 The increased production soon meant that Peglers needed to increase the size of the factory. Land was bought at Balby and, in 1904, the Belmont works were built. These works are still at the heart of Pegler's modern seven acre site.
1913 Fred Birchall wanted to have the most advanced factory in the country and took a trip to the United States in order to look at, what was then, the world's most advanced manufacturing companies. On his return he introduced revolutionary manufacturing techniques such as the capstan lathe and the pneumatic chuck.
1914 Incorporated as a private company: Pegler Brothers and Co (Doncaster)
After the war the factory resumed production of water fittings, steam and radiator valves with even more technically advanced production methods being introduced. Steam power replaced by electric power. A more sophisticated quality control system was introduced and carefully designed packaging brought products to customers in perfect condition - a concept well ahead of its time.
1932 The company was renamed Peglers Ltd.
1935 Peglers Ltd was floated as a public company
1935 The company's 200 foot chimney was erected.
1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Bath Mixer and Shower and Sink Mixer. (Building, General Heating and Cooking Section - Stand No. B.521) 
WWII. The Second World War saw Pegler put their advanced production techniques into the war effort, making brass shells, fuses and valves and taps for military use. 6,000 Pegler taps were used on the Ark Royal and there were contracts from Rolls-Royce and Vickers. Over 2000 employees were engaged in the Pegler war effort.
Post-WWII. After the war, Pegler's output was further boosted by the massive rebuilding programme.
1946 Started making plastic components
1947 Fred Birchall retired age 77.
1950s/60s. Over the '50s and '60s, Pegler expanded by acquiring companies in the UK and abroad.
1953 Acquired Thomas Braddock and Co, maker of gas meters and water heaters.
1956 Acquired Galt Brass Co of Canada
1957 Acquired Peter Marshall (Valves) of Nottingham
1958 Acquired J. J. Braimbridge and Son, metal merchants of Hull
1959 Formed subsidiary Paragon Plastics to separate the plastic components activity from the rest of the business
1959 Took over the Pegler and Louden subsidiary
1960 Acquired Mason Brothers (Smelters) of Dewsbury
1964 Acquired Midco Steam Specialties of Nottingham, making ferrous as well as non-ferrous valves and fittings
1966 Group restructed under a holding company
1967 Acquired Leigh Tool and Gauge Co of Blackpool
1986 Tomkins Engineering Group bought this group of companies and de-merged the group.
2017 Pegler Yorkshire is part of the Flow Control division of Aalberts Industries.