Pontypool Iron and Tinplate Co
1851 Pontypool Iron Co was formed under the directorship of Messrs. Dimmock, Thompson, Firmstone and Blackwell.
1852 John Kenyon Blackwell left the Partnership with Edward Bagnall Dimmack, John Thompson, Joseph Firmstone, as Coal and Iron Masters, at Pontypool, in the county of Monmouth, as The Pontypool Iron Company. The business was carried on by the 3 remaining partners.
1856 The partnership between Edward Bagnall Dimmack, John Thompson, and Joseph Firmstone was dissolved, as Iron Merchants, at St. Peter's-chambers, Cornhill, in the city of London, under the style or firm of Dimmack, Thompson, and Firmstone, and as Iron Masters, at Pontypool, in the county of Monmouth, under the style or firm of The Pontypool Iron Company.
1858 Mines, beds, etc., under the farm at Gelly Pistill Uchaf, in the borough of Newport, were leased to Abraham Darby, Thomas Brown, Joseph Robinson, and Frederick Levick, for the term of 21 years, with a covenant to renew the same
1866 Placed under the management of the newly incorporated Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron and Coal Co Ltd.
1871 Josiah Richards, John Jones (or Smith?) and David Williams leased the business, trading under the title of Pontypool Iron and Tinplate Co. Converted the Town Forge into a tinplate works.
1874 John Smith left the Partnership with Josiah Richards, David Williams, in business as Ironmasters, and Tinplate Manufacturers, at Pontypool, in the county of Monmouth, under the style or firm of the Pontypool Iron and Tinplate Company; Josiah Richards and David Williams would pay all debts and receive all monies owed.
1886 Josiah Richards retired as senior partner
1887 the assets of the company were taken over by Partridge, Jones and Co
1898 the Company was wound up.
Sources of Information
- London Gazette 16 March 1852
- London Gazette 26 December, 1856
- London Gazette 3 Sept 1858
- London Gazette 25 December, 1874
- Papers in Gwent Record Office