Ransome and Marles Bearing Co
of Stanley Works, Newark-on-Trent, makers of ball and roller bearings, steel balls, patent self-aligning roller-bearing plummer blocks, patent roller brushes.
1917 Public company Ransome and Marles Bearing Co Ltd formed by A. Ransome and Co to exploit the bearings invented by Mr. Henry Marles. They were first used on woodworking machines; this was so successful that many of the leading motor-car and lorry builders adopted them as standard.
WWI: Mostly engaged in making aircraft bearings.
1920 September. Exhibited at the Machine Tool and Engineering Exhibition at Olympia with a large collection of roller and ball bearings. 
1922 Directors: L. H. Ransome, H. Marles, V. S. Woods (Chairman), J. J. Clark, J. Mason, E. Josselyn, and Lt.-Col. H. J. Higg, O.B.E. (Managing).
1924 Their London address changed from 64, Mortimer-street, Gt. Portland-street, W.I. to 17, Victoria-street, Westminster, S.W.I.
1927 Advert for bearings. 
1937 Ball and roller bearing manufacturers. 
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers.
1940 Advert for ball and roller bearings. 
1941 7th March, the Ransome and Marles factory was bombed, causing considerable damage. As a result 30 men and 10 women were killed, 65 treated in hospital and 100+ treated at the works' own underground hospital.
1945 Advert for ball and roller bearings. 
1961 Manufacturers of ball and roller bearings, producing "Thompsons" linear ball bushings. 
1969 The Industrial Reorganisation Corporation supported the formation of a new bearings group Ransome Hoffmann Pollard Co by amalgamating Ransome and Marles Bearing Co, Pollard Ball and Roller Bearing Co and Hoffmann Manufacturing Co.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 21 October 1918
- The Engineer of 1st October 1920 p333
- The Times, 25 May 1920
- The Engineer 1924/08/22
- Mechanical World Year Book 1927. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p128
- The Times, 23 February 1933
- 1937 The Aeroplane Directory of the Aviation and Allied Industries
- Mechanical World Year Book 1940. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p147
- Mechanical World Year Book 1945. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p181
- 1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE
- The Times, 14 October 1969
- AA.  Image courtesy of Aviation Ancestry