Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,410 pages of information and 211,627 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Robert Broom Hodgson ( - 1950)
1951 Obituary 
"RICHARD BROOM HODGSON was the founder of R. B. Hodgson and Co, afterwards becoming managing director of R. B. Hodgson and Company (Sheffield), Ltd., Sentinel Steel Works, Sheffield. In the course of his long professional career, which dated back to 1887, he was closely concerned as an expert with testing steels for machines and tools, his advice in this direction being extensively sought by numerous engineering firms.
He received his technical education at the Birmingham and Midland Institute and the Birmingham School of Art. After serving his time in the engineering works of Messrs. Stanford and Beesley, Ltd., from 1880 to 1887, and gaining some experience as a toolmaker with Messrs. Corder and Turley, he was engaged as draughtsman and engineer to Messrs. Brampton Brothers, Ltd., cycle-chain makers, and subsequently superintended the erection of new buildings and numerous extensions to the plant. This was only one of several firms with whom he held important positions.
In 1896 he began to practise as a consulting engineer and for the following twelve years acted as adviser to a number of firms in the Midland area in the engineering and allied industries. In 1908 he removed to Sheffield where the company he had established was registered as a limited company in 1919 and he continued to direct it up to the time of his death at his home in Sheffield on 30th August 1950. Mr. Hodgson was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1898 and transferred to Membership in 1911. He was the author of a text-book, which dealt with machines and tools for metal cutting, and published books entitled "Emery Grinding Machinery" and "Machinery and Tools Employed for Working Sheet Metals". He also contributed a number of papers to the Birmingham Association of Mechanical Engineers, and for one paper gained the Association Diploma. He had been a Member since 1894. In addition he read a paper on the Destruction of Towns' Refuse before the Public Health Congress, at Blackpool, in 1899."