Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,951 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 52 Coleman St, London EC2
1933 Public company incorporated with aim of acquiring the shares in other electricity supply undertakings, particularly the Sussex Electricity Supply Co Ltd whose then owners, W. H. Botsford and Co, thereby acquired almost half of the shares in the new company. W. H. Botsford and Co held a controlling interest in Power Management LtdThe electricity distribution company purchased electricity from the Central Electricity Board for sale to its customers.
1935 Acquired Brentwood District Electric Co, Brentwood District Electric Installations, and some of the shares in Mawdsleys; Brentwood was developing as a dormitory area for London; the company planned to acquire the remainder of the shares in Mawdsleys by the end of 1936.
1935 The 4 subsidiary companies had been required to take services from Power Management Ltd; there was a struggle between vested interests and other shareholders which ended in a proposal to elect further directors to change the power balance on the board but the proposal was rejected; this would make it impossible for the company to raise further funds in the City. An agreement was subsequently reached for ending these service contracts
1936 Share issue. By this time had also acquired Seaton and District Electric Light Co Ltd and Leominster Electric Supply Co Ltd
1939 Changes in bulk supply tariffs were having an effect on the profit of the electricity distribution business; had acquired another, small electrical manufacturing company and one involved in electric cables.
1945 Pre-empting the expected legislation to rationalise the electricity distribution industry, the company had exchanged its Brentwood shares for a similar number of shares in the County of London Electric Supply Co Ltd, and sold its Leominster shares to Worcestershire and Staffordshire Power Supply Co for cash. Had also been asked to acquire P. A. M. Ltd, makers of precision instruments of Guildford; had acquired controlling interest in Gillott Electro Steam Cookers Ltd, makers of a novel form of cooking as well as immersion heaters.
1946 Anticipating the effects of nationalisation of the electricity supply companies, the directors had been giving attention to development and expansion of the manufacturing subsidiaries
1948 The electricity supply companies were nationalized.
1952 Manufacturing subsidiaries included Mawdsleys at Dursley and Honiton, Carrick Engineering of Stewarton, Ross, Courtney and Co, P. A. M. and Gillott; had closed the small factory at Sydenham; the plastics factory at Birmingham had sufferred from shortage of supplies; repair works at Exeter had been busy
1953 Acquired Tyer and Co, makers of railway signalling equipment and automatic train control apparatus. Other subsidiaries included R. M. P., Birmingham, a plastics factory; New Day Electrical Accessories, Globelite, which had repair works at Exeter; as well as Mawdsleys, P.A.M., Carrick, Ross Courtney and Gillott
1957 Major expansion work had been completed at Mawdsleys; other subsidiaries included Ross, Courtney and Co, Carrick of Stewarton, P. A. M., Globelite of Exeter, Tyer, Gillott, New Day Electrical Accessories. Had transferred interests in Mono-Cam fuel injection pump to Simms Motor Units Ltd. Had developed new small washing machine