Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,669 pages of information and 247,074 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Sunderland Docks

From Graces Guide
1912.
1912.
1925. New Graving Dock.
1949. Hendon Dock Bascule Bridge
South Docks, 2017

1838 A dock of about 6 acres, with a tidal harbour of 1 acre, was constructed on the north side of the river Wear by Mr. Brunel for a company.

1848 As most of the trade would come from south of the river, construction of docks on that side of the river began.

1850 A wet dock of 18.5 acres, a half-tide basin of 2.5 acres, and a tidal harbour of 2.5 acres connected with the river, were opened. Work on further docks on the south side of the river started immediately.

1859 The docks remained in the possession of the company until August 1859, when they were transferred to the re-constituted River Wear Commission, under whose control they were greatly extended.

By 1881, the Wearmouth Dock was on the north bank of the River Wear; it was owned by the North-Eastern Railway.

On the south bank, and extending more than a mile along the seashore, were the three South Docks, belonging to the River Wear Commissioners; these all communicated, and contained together 44 acres of water area.

1925 A new graving dock, designed by William Simpson, was opened at the South Dock Yard of T. W. Greenwell and Co.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information