Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway was a 5.75 mile line that ran from the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) at Wandsworth Common to the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) at Sydenham. It opened on the 1st December 1856 from Crystal Palace railway station to a point south east of Clapham Junction railway station where it connected with the London and South Western Railway. A subsequent extension to Battersea Wharf opened on 29 March 1858. Hamilton Henry Fulton prepared the plans and acted in conjunction with the Mr. G. P. Bidder in constructing the line.
The original stations on the line were: Crystal Palace Low Level, Gipsy Hill, West Norwood, Streatham Hill, Balham, Wandsworth Common
1856 Opened to Sydenham
1857 Opened to Norwood
1858 Opened to Pimlico
1858 The Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway was sanctioned, to connect from the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway near the Battersea terminus and cross the river to the new station at Victoria Street, Pimlico.
1860 The line into Victoria was opened.
This was a forerunner of the later system of suburban railways south of London.
Following the construction of the LCDR's own Metropolitan Extensions in 1863, traffic over the line west of Crystal Palace was confined to the trains of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.
Absorbed by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR)