Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,501 pages of information and 233,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Euston Station, London
West London Railway, 2.25 miles long, was a short railway linking Clapham Junction in the south to Willesden Junction in the north. It was built to enable trains to cross London. . The West London Railway was originally called the Birmingham, Bristol and Thames Junction Railway, authorised in 1836 to run from the London and Birmingham Railway across the proposed route of the Great Western Railway, to the Kensington Canal Basin.
The railway was originally built as an Atmospheric Railway running between Wormwood Scrubs and Shepherds Bush opening in 1840. Later converted to an orthodox railway it came to prominence as an avoiding line facilitating through-running on the west side of London, especially for freight.
1844 The line opened to traffic but was not profitable and passenger traffic ceased within a few months.
An Act of 1845 authorised the Great Western and the London and Birmingham to take out a joint lease of the West London line.
1859 The West London Extension Railway, (consisting of the London and North Western Railway, the Great Western Railway, the London and South Western Railway and the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Companies) acquired the undertaking.