William Simpson and Co
of Grosvenor Engine Works, Pimlico, London
By 1839 Simpson and Co was operating from Belgrave Road.
1849 Engines for Strood Water Works were provided by William Simpson and Co throughout the period from 1849 to 1868.
1852 William Simpson and Co, engineers, Belgrave Road, Pimlico; William Simpson, civil engineer, Belgrave Rd, Pimlico (NB there was also a William Simpson at 2 Eccleston St).
1858 William Simpson and Company established an engineering works and factory, known as Grosvenor Works, at Grosvenor Wharf, Isle of Dogs. Early buildings included a smiths' shop, a machine shop, a boiler shed, stores and offices.
1862 the Isle of Dogs site was extended westwards to meet Wharf Road, and further factory buildings were erected 
1862 The partnership of James Simpson, William Simpson and James Simpson, Junior carrying on business as manufacturing engineers as Simpson and Co and William Simpson and Co at Grosvenor Rd, Pimlico, and Cubitt Town, Poplar, was dissolved. James Simpson would carry on the business.
1862 William Simpson (1809-1864) left, to establish his own ship-repairing yard at Empire Wharf, Isle of Dogs. James Simpson took over Grosvenor Works which remained in the possession of the Simpson family until 1865.
Sources of Information
- A biographical dictionary of civil engineers in Great Britain and Ireland, edited by A. W. Skempton
- Post Office London Directory, 1841
- National Archives 
- Post Office London Directory (Small Edition), 1852
- 'Cubitt Town: Riverside area: from Newcastle Drawdock to Cubitt Town Pier', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. 528-532. 
- London Gazette, 9 December 1862
- 'Cubitt Town: Riverside area: from Newcastle Drawdock to Cubitt Town Pier', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. 528-532.