Taylor Walker and Co
1730 The brewery that became Taylor Walker & Co was founded in Stepney as Salmon and Hare, and later became Hare and Hartford.
1796 John Taylor acquired Hare's share, and the company took the name Taylor Walker in 1816 when Isaac Walker became a partner.
1823 The brewery moved to Fore Street, Limehouse
1889 Moved into the Barley Mow Brewery.
1959 Taylor Walker & Co merged with Ind Coope and Ansells to become Allied Breweries.
The Barley Mow Brewery brewery was closed in 1960 and was taken down in the mid-sixties.
The Barley Mow pub in Limehouse was attached to the brewery, it is now called The Narrow and is owned by Gordon Ramsay Holdings.
Allied Breweries merged with Carlsberg in 1992 and became Carlsberg-Tetley.
Beer bearing the Taylor Walker name was brewed at the Burton plant of Allied Breweries (Ind Coope's successor) until the mid 1990s.
See Also
Sources of Information
- [1] Wikipedia