Corringham Light Railway
of Kynochtown, Essex
1899 The company was incorporated under the Light Railways Act of 1896. [1]
The Corringham Light Railway (CLR) was incorporated on 10 July 1899 and opened to freight on 1 January and passenger on 22 June 1901. It ran in the marshlands of South Essex, closing in 1952. [2]
The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway (LTSR) had a branch from Thames Haven Junction, near Stanford-le-Hope, to Thames Haven on the Thames Estuary. There was a passenger station at Thames Haven but it closed before the CLR opened.
The CLR ran from a junction with the LTSR near Thames Haven to the G. Kynoch and Co explosives works at Shell Haven with branches east to Kynochtown (later re-named Coryton) and west to Corringham.
In its later years the CLR was owned by the Mobil Oil Co serving its Coryton Refinery.
1908 The line was some 2.75 miles in length. [3]