Lambton Collieries
Lambton Collieries was a privately owned colliery and coal mining company, based in County Durham
The commercial extraction of coal was developed by John Lambton in the lands surrounding the castle through the Wear Valley. The first of seven pits was sunk in the village of Bournmoor from 1783 onwards, which together were to make up what was known as Lambton Colliery.
The company was first formed when Lambton's grandson, John Lambton the first Earl of Durham, entered Parliament as a Whig politician. The formal name change to Lambton Collieries was adopted in 1896.
1911 the company merged with Hetton Collieries to form Lambton and Hetton Collieries.
1924 the company merged with Joicey Collieries to form Lambton Hetton Joicey Collieries.
1947, along with all of the other private coal companies of the United Kingdom, it was nationalised under the Coal Industry Nationalisation Act 1946 to form the National Coal Board.
See Also
- Archive Journal: Issue 44
- Cornelius William Martin
- Earl of Durham Collieries
- George Robert Harland Bowden
- Hetton Coal Co
- Hetton Colliery
- James Joicey and Co
- John Hedley
- Lambton Colliery
- Lambton Hetton Joicey Collieries
- Lambton and Hetton Collieries
- The Basic Industries of Great Britain by Aberconway: Chapter X
- William Chapman (1749-1832)