Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,713 pages of information and 247,105 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Stratford Mill, Stroud

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 08:50, 29 November 2024 by PaulF (talk | contribs) (Sources of Information)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

of Stroud (also known as the 'Royal Cake Mills')

of Stroud

Stratford Mill is first recorded in 1607, when it was in use as a cloth mill.

1627 the property consisted of a house, grist mill, tuck-mill and four racks for drying broadcloth.

c1735 It was converted for use as a corn mill, and remained in production until 1984.

1856 Reynolds and Allen, Stratford Mills.[1]

1863 Reynolds and Allen leased the mill; they used a combination of steam and water power to drive no less than 21 pairs of stones for grinding corn.

By 1901, the mill belonged to R. Townsend and Co. Ltd., who manufactured a variety of products here, including cattle cake, seed corn, manure and farm fertilizers.

1903 R. Townsend and Co

1908 The mill was badly damaged by fire.

Townsends continued to trade until they were taken over by Ranks Hovis McDougall.

1983 the mill was taken over by Dalgety Spillers, who closed it the following year.

The mill building was demolished and replaced by a Tesco supermarket.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Gloucester Journal - Saturday 27 December 1856
  • [1] Digital Stroud