AEC



The Associated Equipment Company was a manufacturer of commercial vehicles from 1912 to 1977.
Background
- 1908 The company evolved from the merger of the London Motor Omnibus Co - which ran its "Vanguard" buses on services in the capital from their works at Walthamstow - and the mighty London General Omnibus Co.
- London's bus chassis of the early 20th Century were mainly imported and the enlarged L.G.O.C.-built bus chassis to its own design at Walthamstow Works. The L.G.O.C. was taken over by the Underground Electric Railways Co of London.
- 1912 The Underground Electric Railways Co separated off the chassis-building activities to form the Associated Equipment Co better known as AEC.
- 1926 AEC and Daimler merged to form the short-lived Associated Daimler Co, coinciding with construction of the new works at Southall, west of London but was de-merged just three years later
- 1927 The first Southall chassis were completed early in the year and over the next fifty-two years AEC were leaders in the highly competitive field of commercial and passenger vehicle manufacture, responsible for classics such as the Matador artillery tractor, the Regal, Regent and Reliance series of passenger chassis, the Mammoth Major, Mandator and Mercury heavy goods chassis, and diesel-engines as the 7.7, 8.8, 9.6, 11.3 and 12.4 litre types.
- Many thousands of buses, lorries, dump trucks and chassis for fire appliances were built for customers at home and overseas. AEC engines were also used in many other makes of chassis, and there were military, marine and industrial engine applications too.
- 1928 Introduced a six-cylinder CI engine of their own design under the Acro licence and ran it experimentally.
- 1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Industrial and Marine Oil Engines. Also for buses, coaches, trolley buses, lorries, tip-wagons, rail cars etc. A.E.C. 6-cylinders 100 h.p. Marine Oil Engine, complete with reverse gear. A.E.C. 27 K.W. Oil Engine, Ships' Auxiliary Set. A.E.C. 60 K.W. Oil Engine, Generating Set, self-contained and transportable. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand No. D.820)
- 1944 Producing diesel marine engines of either four or six cylinders and producing 47, 59 or 100 bhp.
- 1944 Advert for Oil engines.
- 1948 Bought Crossley Motors and the Maudslay Motor Co
- 1948 Changed name of the group to Associated Commercial Vehicles better known as ACV
- 1961 Acquired Thornycroft.
- 1962 Merged with Leyland.
- 1968 Announce the first V8 diesel engine to be designed and built in Britain.
- 1977 The name was discontinued.
Lorries
See AEC: Lorries
Buses
See AEC: Buses
- 1979 the company had closed down.
Sources of Information
- British Lorries 1900-1992 by S. W. Stevens-Stratten. Pub. Ian Allen Publishing
- Ian Allan - British Buses Since 1900 - Aldridge and Morris
- The Modern Diesel edited by Geoffrey Smith. Published by Iliffe & Sons 1944
- The Engineer of 24th May 1968 p810