A. and S. Henry and Co
of 32 Portland Street, Manchester
1805 Founded by brothers Alexander and Samuel Henry.
1889 The company was registered on 3 December, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, merchants and manufacturers at Manchester and elsewhere. 
1932 Opened a new factory in Liverpool.
1950 Subsidiaries included:
- Hardie and Smith
- Dundee Brattice Cloth and Waterproofing Co
- Joseph Grave and Co
- Lomas and Spencer
- Leonard Plews, Stockdale and Co
- John Noble
- Witney Blanket Co
- English Spinners
- British Hungarian Jute Spinning and Weaving Co (Hungary)
- Durban Bag Co (South Africa)
1972 Acquired by Great Universal Stores.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- The Times, February 25, 1932
- The Times, April 25, 1950