Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,170 pages of information and 223,198 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Cycle Components Manufacturing Company, of Selly Oak Birmingham and Alma Street, Coventry.
1894 The Cycle Components Manufacturing Co was formed by Harvey du Cros (of South Hill, Co. Dublin) to make fittings for the cycle trade. Other directors were R. F. Hall, Frederick Warwick, Walter Evans and Arthur Du Cros of Coventry. The company was to acquire and carry on the businesses of:
1895 The tube manufacturing part of the business (based on Hudson and Co) was making substantial profits.
1896 September 16th: Charles Sangster became a director of the company and subsequently managing director. At this time he saw the need to separate the tubes business as this conflicted with making and supplying components to the cycle trade.
1896 of Fleet Street, Coventry.
While the Components company continued to supply ready to build fittings for the trade, a kindred concern was started in a section of the factory to manufacture Ariel cycles, under the direction of Charles Sangster. These cycles were ridden to victory in the world's championships of 1897 by J. W. Stocks (professional) and E. Gould (amateur) and paced by Ariel multi cycles, Sangster's new marque quickly achieved commercial success, the agency being much sought after by retailers throughout the country and abroad.
1898 At the delayed AGM at the end of the year, it was reported that depressed demand for cycles had reduced profits substantially. The directors were now giving their attention to motor vehicles. The chairman ( Harvey du Cros senior) proposed to transfer to the company a licence for a half-right in the De Dion "motor", for which the company had received large orders.
1898 Built the company’s first motorised tricycle. It had a De Dion engine made under licence. After that year only the Ariel marque name was used. More tricycles were produced.
1900 The Cycle Components Manufacturing Co of Birmingham issued a catalogue of parts.
1900 At the Automobile Club Trial, the Ariel Tricycle Co Ltd entered an Ariel tricycle, and one with a detachable trailer; the Ariel Cycle Co Ltd entered the Ariel xxard Voiturette; Mr R M Wilson entered an Ariel tricycle from Ariel Cycle Co.
1901 Quadricycles were added to the product line in 1901 as the Ariel brand was extended to car production. The retailing of Ariel motorcars was handled by Ariel Motors Ltd of Long Acre, London.
1902 The name was changed to Components Ltd