F. W. Howarth
of Blackley, near Manchester.
The founder of this branch, F. W. Howarth, received his early training at "Potters", Darwen, leaving them some years later to go to Yates, Dauncey and Dawson at Radcliffe, where he became principal designer in 1895.
1901 He started his own business at Blackley, in which the large engraving shop was a special feature, and at first executed work for other industries as well as wallpaper. In a very short time the company had established a firm footing in the trade, particularly in the cheaper lines of wallpaper.
1914 In July a disastrous fire occurred. Nearly half the factory was destroyed, and, unfortunately, the portion destroyed contained the production centre.
In rebuilding the factory an opportunity was taken to re-design it on up-to-date line, and after a short lapse of time the company regained its former position of prosperity.
In 1915 the firm was absorbed by The Wall Paper Manufacturers Ltd.
1934 Osborn and Shearman branch of the W.P.M. was moved from Fulham, London, and amalgamated with the F. W. Howarth branch at Blackley.
Progress on a very satisfactory basis continued until 1939, when the outbreak of war soon caused a suspension of normal production.
Sources of Information
- 1899-1949 The Pattern of a Great Organisation - The Wall Paper Manufacturers Limited.