Garton and King
Iron founders of 190 High Street, Exeter.
formerly Garton and Jarvis
1863. Partnership and name change. '...That the Partnership hitherto existing between John Garton and Ambrose Parker Jarvis, of the city of Exeter, Ironmongers and Iron Founders, has terminated by the death of the said Ambrose Parker Jarvis; and that the Business will in future be carried on by the said John Garton and John Gould King (late of Barnstaple), under the firm and designation of Garton and King...'
1883-85 Name changes briefly to King and Munk and then reverts
1892 Announce alterations to their premises at 190 High Street.
1893 Death of John Bowden, for many years the foremen at the company, age 72.
c1940 Took over Taylor and Bodley
1950 Advert. New lighting, power and sound installations in The Cathedral. Established 1661.
Sources of Information
- Western Times - Tuesday 07 April 1863
- Exeter Flying Post - Saturday 13 August 1892
- Exeter Flying Post - Saturday 12 August 1893
- Exeter and Plymouth Gazette - Monday 03 October 1898
- Western Morning News - Tuesday 11 July 1950
- 1964 Kelly’s Directory of Exeter