

Glyn, Mills and Co, Bankers, of 67 Lombard Street. E.C.3
1753 Founded by Joseph Vere, Richard Glyn and Thomas Hallifax as a private bank; initially traded as Vere, Glyn and Hallifax.
By 1800 the bank had moved to Birchin Lane. It prospered, developing a large business as London agent for many of the growing provincial banks, providing banking facilities for more than 200 of the new railway companies and handling the important Canadian financial agency.
1841 Glyn, Mills took over many of the customer accounts of Ladbroke and Co upon that bank’s closure
1851 Name changed to Glyn, Mills and Co.
1864 Acquired the business of Curries and Co, and was restyled Glyn, Mills, Currie and Co.
1885 Registered as a joint-stock company as Glyn, Mills, Currie and Co, the first private bank to publish a half-yearly balance sheet.
1890 it played a major role in preventing the collapse of merchant bankers Baring Brothers, thereby saving a number of London's financial institutions from ruin. By that time the bank had established many international links and was handling share issues for major companies and governments at home and abroad.
1923 Took over Holt and Co, after which the firm was renamed Glyn, Mills, Currie, Holt and Co
1924 Acquired Child and Co, after which the firm was known as Glyn, Mills and Co.
1933 A prestigious new head office building in Lombard Street was completed.
1939 Acquired by the Royal Bank of Scotland
1944 Glyn, Mills acquired the banking businesses of the British Overseas Bank and Anglo-International Bank
1946 Acquired A. Ruffer and Sons
1970 Williams Deacon's Bank and Glyn, Mills and Co (subsidiaries of the Royal Bank of Scotland) and The National Bank (subsidiary of National Commercial Bank of Scotland) – merged to create Williams & Glyn’s Bank.