Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,108 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Transport & Electricity Board opened the Tame Valley Generating Station in 1904, intially having three Dick, Kerr and Co dynamos driven by Yates and Thom reciprocating engines. By 1923 the capacity had incresed to 19 MW, and another station was opened at Hartshead in 1926. It initially had three 12.5 MW turbine-alternators each generating 12.5 MW at 40 Hz. In 1935 a 30 MW set was added, followed by another in 1943, and another in 1950. During the war, concrete bomb protection shelters were placed over the turbine-alternators. After removal several were used as the works canteen and blacksmith's shop.
Hartshead PS closed in 1979. Tame Valley PS had closed in 1932.
The above information is drawn from 'Electricity in Manchester 1893-1993'