Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,314 pages of information and 216,334 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Fell Pease (1838 - 7 December 1896) was a coal and ironstone mine-owner from North East England and Liberal politician who represented Cleveland.
Pease, a member of the prominent Quaker Pease family, was born at Middleton St. George, near Darlington, the eldest son of Henry Pease and his wife Anna Fell.
He became a partner in the family firm of Pease and Partners, who owned coal and ironstone mines and also a director of the Tees Valley Railway.
1862, Pease married his second cousin Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the late Mr. John Beaumont Pease, of North Lodge, Darlington. They had two sons and one daughter.
1868 Darlington was incorporated as a borough; Pease became a councillor, and was twice mayor in 1874-75.
1881 and 1882 he was president of the National Liberal Federation.
1885 Elected as MP for Cleveland as a Liberal and held the seat until his death at the age of 58 at Brinkburn, Darlington.
1897 Obituary 
HENRY FELL PEASE, of Brinkburn, Darlington, died on December 6, 1896, at the age of fifty-nine. He was a director of the firm of Pease and Partners, of Darlington; chairman of the Tees Side Iron and Engine Works Company up to the date of its amalgamation with the firm of Sir Christopher Furness, Westgarth & Co., when he became a director of that company.
He was also intimately connected with various other undertakings, and was part owner of the cotton-mills of Henry Pease & Co.'s Successors.
He was member of Parliament for the Cleveland division of Yorkshire from 1885, and Deputy-Lieutenant and Justice of the Peace for the North Riding of Yorkshire. He had been Mayor of Darlington, and always took an active interest in the social and political life of the various districts with which he was connected.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1882.