J. P. Rennoldson and Sons
Ship Builders of South Shields
1863 James Purdy Rennoldson opened a slipway for small wooden craft in South Shields, near the Lawe.
1870s The yard began iron shipbuilding
Ald. J. M. Rennoldson, brother of Charles, was also a partner.
1890 The yard was reconstructed to build paddle and screw tugs which had been engined at the yard.
1899 A number of screw tugs were built for Australia.
1907 Hercules, a screw tug was built for the Suez Canal Company
1914 Directory: Listed as Ship Builders of the Slipway, Shadwell Street, South Shields
1915 George V, a screw tug, was built for service on the Tyne along with a number of other vessels, notably Protector a pilot-cutter.
1916 The yard had four berths, the longest was 230 feet in length.
1929 The yard failed financially.
Sources of Information
- British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss
- Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1914 p771
- Obituary of Charles Rennoldson