Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,180 pages of information and 233,419 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of London Road, Manchester
1880 Advertisement: 'Sales by Auction. In the Chancery of the County Palatine of Lancaster, Manchester District.—In the matter the Estates of William Romaine Callender the elder and William Romaine Callender the younger, deceased.—"Callender v. Callender."
By Mr. JOHNSON MILLS, pursuant to an order made in the above matter and action on the 27th day of June, 1879, before Henry Wilbraham, Esq., District Registrar of the said Court, at the Albion Hotel, Piccadilly, Manchester, THIS DAY (Thursday), July 22,1880, at four for five o'clock in the afternoon, in one lot, and subject to the following conditions of sale:
ALL those Valuable FREEHOLD COTTON SPINNING and DOUBLING MILLS and PREMISES, known as Jackson-street Mills, situate in Jackson-street, in the city of Manchester, with the Steam Boilers, Steam Engines, Millwrights' Work, Steam, Gas, and Water Piping; Machinery, Fixtures, Utensils, and Property and Effects contained therein. The buildings, are extensive and of substantial construction, consist of the freehold cotton spinning and doubling mills and premises, known as Jackson-street Mills, situate and fronting to Jackson-street and Temple-street, London-road, Manchester, with the water reserves and privileges, steam boilers, economiser, steam engines, millwrights’ work, steam, gas, and water piping thereto belonging, and 143,034 mule and doubling spindles, with preparation machinery, fixtures, loose articles, and other property and effects.
The buildings, nearly the whole of which are of modern and substantial construction, comprise seven-storey brick-built Spinning Mill, 159 ft. 6in. by 125 ft. 6in., the first and seconds storeys being fireproof. No. 2 Spinning Mill, brick built, 128 ft. long by 59ft. wide, seven storeys high. No.3 Doubling Mill, brick-built, 74ft. 6in. by 32ft. 6in., six storeys high. Also the extensive range of five-storey buildings, partly fire-proof, including winding, warping, reeling, preparing, and cleaning rooms; doubling and gassing rooms, warehouse, yarn stores, cotton mixing room, excellent and well-arranged suite offices, school and lecture room, lodge, watch house, and entrance. Detached fire-proof Cotton warehouse and stables, 80ft. 6in. by 26ft. 3in. by three storeys, with water reserve over shed, engine, boiler, and economiser houses, mechanics' shop, two chimneys, 70 yards and 30 yards high respectively, and other erections. The steam power, mill wrights' work, &c, consist four double-flued cylindrical steam boilers, each 29ft. 6in. long by 7ft. diameter, by Beeley one ditto, 28ft. long by 6ft. 6in. diameter, by ditto; one ditto 27ft. long 6ft. 6in. diameter; Twibill’s patent fuel economiser, 288 pipes; pair of high-pressure horizontal steam engines (coupled), indicated horse power, by J. C. Kay; three horizontal and vertical steam engines, polished wrought iron shafting, spur, bevel, and mitre wheels; drums, pulleys, wall boxes, wall brackets, pedestals, beams, bridges, and hangers; steam, gas, and water piping, power hoists, and 5-ton cart weighing machine. The machinery, the principal portion which is equal to new and in excellent working condition, is by the following eminent makers: — Dobson and Barlow, Threlfall, John Hetherington and Son, John Elce and Co. Limited, Samuel Brooks, Howarth and Cryer, Joseph Hetherington, and others; comprising quadruple and double-beater cotton openers, two finisher scutchers and lap machines, three grinding machines, Horsfall rollers, 96 self-stripping iron carding engines, 14 Derby doublers, 74 combing machines, each with six heads: two ditto, each with four heads; 50 drawing frames, slubbing, intermediate, and jack frames, containing 11,930 spindles ; 32 pairs of self-acting and hand mules, containing 63,530 spindles ; one pair of treble-decked hand mules, containing 3,000 spindles; 18 pairs of double-decked ad mules, containing 36,480 spindles; and six pairs hand mules, containing 6,000 spindles; 117 doubling frames, containing 34,024 spindles; three bobbin winding frames, containing 420 spindles; 10 gassing frames, 1,496 lights; 15 clearing frames, 4,302 spindles, five yards warping mills, five single and double yarn preparing machines, 29 60-hank double bobbin reels, 43 cop reels, hydraulic press, with double lever pumps, by Oram; three making-up presses, card and frame cans, leather strapping, platform weighing machines, beam scales, yarn testers, wrap blocks, portable lire engines, roller ending machines, &c.
The mechanics' shop contains a capital planing machine, by Butterworth; slotting machine, by J. and J. Kershaw; vertical drilling machine, by Muir and Co.; 10in. slide and screw-cutting lathes, by Carter and others; 8in. and 9in. single and back-geared lathes, glazier's parallel vices, and benches and mill stores; together with the office furniture, comprising six fire and burglar proof safes, by Milner and others, mahogany counters, double and single slope desks, pedestal, office tables, fixtures, loose articles, and effects. The site of the above mills and premises is and contains 6,274 square yards or thereabouts, and is conveniently situated, being in proximity to the London-road Station. A detailed inventory will be produced at the time of sale, and may be seen 14 days prior to the sale on application at the offices of the undermentioned.—For particulars and conditions of sale, and for further information, apply at the office of the District Registrar, Duchy Chambers, 2, Clarence-street, Manchester; to the Auctioneer, 15, Wood-street, Bolton; Mr. John Adamson, accountant, 6, Norfolk-street, Manchester; Messrs. Cunliffe, Leaf, and Co., solicitors, 56, Brown-street, Manchester; Messrs. Withington, Petty, and Boutflower, solicitors, 11, Spring-gardens, Manchester; or to Messrs. SALE, SEDDON, HILTON, & LORD, solicitors, 29, Booth- street, Manchester.'
1891 Directory: Listed. More details
The mill fronted on Jackson Street, and was bounded on the northern and eastern sides by the River Medlock, which bent sharply round the site. Shown on Bancks's 1931 map as 'Barnes Cotton Mill'. The 1849 O.S. map shows that it was bounded on the west by a row of doubtless squalid houses on Binn Street, whose back walls were shared by mill buildings. Directly on the opposite side of Jackson Street was the entrance to Ardwick Bridge Chemical Mills.