Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Philip Henderson (1881-1939)
1939 Obituary 
"The Hon. PHILIP HENDERSON was born in London in 1881, and was the fourth son of the late Lord Faringdon.
During 1902-3 he was engaged in inspection work for this railway, and in 1903-4 he was assistant engineer on the preparation of surveys and plans for the widening of the Great Central Railway between Manchester and Hyde Junction. In 1904-6 he was an assistant in the office of Messrs. Livesey, Son and Henderson. Subsequently he went to Argentina and during 1906-8 was chief assistant engineer for the firm on the construction of a dock mole and elevator and a power house of 3,000 kW. capacity at Bahia Blanca, Argentina. On returning to England he re-entered the office of Messrs. Livesey, Son and Henderson, and during the years 1908-11 he worked on the design of docks, new railways, locomotives, and rolling stock.
In May 1912 he became a partner in the firm of Messrs. Livesey and Henderson, consulting engineers. Among the more important recent engineering works may be mentioned the extensive new docks at Buenos Aires, the construction of which occupied fourteen years, and the Lower Zambesi Bridge, the longest bridge in the world at the time of opening, and now the second longest. At the commencement of the War he went to Egypt with the Second County of London Yeomanry, and in 1917 he was seconded to the Tank Corps as Officer Commanding Workshops Company in France, with the rank of Major. In 1918 he returned to England on being appointed Technical Controller of Tank Corps training centres with the rank of Lieut.-Colonel and had charge of all workshops and mechanical training. In January 1919 he returned to the firm and took an increasing part in the business, and since the death of Sir Brodie Henderson in 1936 had been senior partner. He became an Associate Member of the Institution in 1910, and a Member in 1912. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers."