S. Richards and Co
of Crown Works, Lowestoft
1876 Founded by Samuel Richards to build sailing drifters. It was based in a boatyard on the south side of the inner harbour at Lowestoft in Suffolk. It began its career by building wooden drifters.
1900 The foundry was built
1919 Richards died; by this time over two hundred wooden drifters had been built. Richard's sons took over the running of the yard and the company continued making drifters and deep sea trawlers along with paddle steamers.
1925 British built vertical crude oil engines in 10, 15 and 20 hp. 
1926 After making a series of motor trawlers and their first motor drifter, the yard closed for four years until 1930.
1930 The last steam engine was produced
Sources of Information
- A-Z of British Stationary Engines by Patrick Knight. Published 1996. ISBN 1 873098 37 5