Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,050 pages of information and 227,612 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1926 September 7th. The new high-pressure geared-turbine steamer King George V ran a demonstration trial on the Firth of Clyde, prior to her taking up the remainder of the tourist season the regular Clyde passenger service of her owner managers, John Williamson and Co of Glasgow. Interest was added to the trial by the personal presence of Sir Charles Algernon Parsons, Mr R. J. Walker, Sir Archibald Denny, Mr Maurice Edward Denny, Mr Harold Edgar Yarrow, Mr W. W. Marriner, Captain Alexander Williams, Mr A. M. MacFarlane.
The King George V is the fourth turbine-propelled steamer to be built to the order of Turbine Steamers. Like her predecessors, she has been constructed by William Denny and Brothers at Dumbarton, and has been engined by the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co, of Wallsend. The occasion of her recent was, however, most noteworthy because he is the first ship to be fitted with high-pressure stem turbine machine, while her boilers represent the newest marine practice. They have been designed and built by Yarrow and Co of scotstoun, Glasgow, for a normal working pressure of 550lb per square inch, and a total super-heated steam temperature of 750deg. Fah.
As regards her external appearance, although she has the usual two white, black banded funnels of her line and one fore mast she is readily to be distinguished from her sister ship by the closed-in sides, which run for the whole length of the accommodation between the promenade and shade decks. There is ample open deck space on the broad shade or boat deck, which is open to first-class passengers, and n the fore and aft open promenade decks available for second and first class passengers respectively.
Another feature is the fitting of Thermotank "punkah-louvre" ventilation to the first class saloons. On the lower deck aft in the space used in other ships as the dining saloon a comfortable tea room and lounge and a smoke room have been arranged.
Full article can be read The Engineer 1926/09/10 p 271 to p 273