Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,414 pages of information and 211,641 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Trinidad Leaseholds, explorers for oil and refiners and distributors of oil products under the Regent brand.
1914 First AGM of Trinidad Leaseholds Ltd.
1923 A "topping plant" was brought into operation in Trinidad.
1929 New refinery unit was brought into operation; old units shut down; a Dubb's units had been installed for cracking and the company was buying more.
1930 To counter the reduction in sales price of crude oil, Trinidad Leaseholds would move into the downstream business in the UK. Had acquired the petroleum distribution side of Burt, Boulton and Haywood and would market motor spirit under the brand Regent which would be a high grade fuel with natural anti-knock properties.
1930 Trinidad Leaseholds Ltd., a British company with crude oil concessions in the Caribbean and with its own overseas refinery capacity, entered the United Kingdom market with the Regent brand of petrol.
1936 Trinidad Leaseholds Ltd was one of the independent suppliers of petrol who did not join the Independent Petroleum Federation when it was formed. Its Regent Petrol brand sold at the same price as the leading brands.
1938 the principal suppliers of petrol in the UK, namely Anglo-American Oil Co, National Benzole Co, Shell-Mex and B. P. and Trinidad Leaseholds, joined together (with Government approval) to form the Petroleum Board to consider the problems of petroleum distribution in the event of war.
1939 On 3rd September, the Petroleum Board became an executive body under Government direction. All products were sold under a Pool description, the selling price of each product being subject to Government control.
1948 In preparation for the dissolution of the Petroleum Board (in June 1948), Trinidad Leaseholds and the California Texas Corporation (Caltex) established joint marketing arrangements in the UK and Eire through a new company the Regent Oil Company.
1952 Havoline lubricating oil.
The Texas Oil Co and Standard Oil Co of California were 50% partners with Trinidad Oil in Regent Oil Company Ltd.
1962 Regent built a refinery at Milford Haven. Regent had the 3rd largest petrol distribution chain in the UK.
1967 Split of Caltex assets in Europe left Texaco with almost all the Regent Oil Co properties in the UK except where there was duplication when the property would become Socal's (Standard Oil Co of California).