Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,204 pages of information and 218,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
W. Tyzack, Sons and Turner of Abbeydale Works, Sheffield; of Little London Works, Heeley, Sheffield.
1812 Company established - see W. Tyzack and Sons
1870 William Tyzack Junior took a partner named Benjamin Turner to form W. Tyzack, Sons and Turner. Turner had married William's elder sister Ann so had been a member of the family for many years prior to the partnership. Smithy Wood purchased.
1876 Heeley Corn Mill was purchased near to the Little London Dam. Most of the commercial development of W. Tyzack, Sons and Turner after 1876 was at Little London. The trade mark of the firm, the “Elephant," formerly stamped almost exclusively on their scythes, was now put on other articles. 
1885 Falling home sales sent the business overseas.
1906 Registered as a Private Limited Company. Frederick Tyzack, son of William Jnr. Tyzack, was chairman.
In the eight years to 1912, the Little London Works doubled its staff and output in saws. In addition to the “Elephant” and “Nonpareil” brands there was also an “Abbeydale” quality of saw, a cheaper product.
1914 Manufacturers of Steel, Scythes, Files, Saws and Agricultural Knives. Employees 500. 
Colonel W. S. Middleton, M.C., T.D., married Dorothy the daughter of Frederick Tyzack and in 1919 he joined the company.
1923 Frederick Tyzack died and was succeeded as chairman by John Blunt. Before the war, Frederick’s son, Eric D. Tyzack, was the company’s Metallurgical Chemist, with his own laboratory. One might reasonably have expected him to follow his father as chairman in the family firm but he became a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps and was killed over Passchendaele. 
W. Tyzack, Sons and Turner was the first to manufacture discs for harrowing and ploughing and these used the “Elephant" mark, which had become an important quality guarantee on scythes and saws. 
1932 Company made public.
Following the death of John Blunt in 1935, William Tyzack, nephew of Frederick, became Chairman, the other directors being Stuart M. Tyzack, (his brother), Colonel Middleton and Wilfred Tyzack, (son of Stuart), who had joined the company in 1926. William Tyzack and Colonel Middleton were Joint Managing Directors.
In 1945 Norman Turner, great grandson of the original Benjamin Turner, joined as a director, and three years later the firm became a Public Limited Company. During the same year, (1948), Colonel Middleton became Chairman with Colonel Wilfred Tyzack as Joint Managing Director.
1961 General engineers and manufacturers of files, saws, scythes and agricultural machine parts. 500 employees. 
1961 Wilfred Stuart Tyzack, son of Stuart Meggitt Tyzack and Aguste Meizer, became chairman. Stuart Meggitt was the son of Stuart Tyzack and Mary Meggitt. This last Stuart was Frederick’s brother.
By 1967, Tyzacks had merged with the firm of D. Parker and Sons, filemakers of Ecclesfield.
By 1986 the company was known as Tyzack Turner Group
1988 Demolition of the Little London Works.
1989 Management buy-out of W. A. Tyzack and Co. which was acquired by GSM
1991 Receivers were called into GSM. One part of the original company retaining the Tyzack name was Tyzack Transmission Components Ltd, owned by MIBA an Austrian company, which survived until 2008.
The machine knives and grass care equipment were acquired by Eurovein.