Somervell Brothers: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 5: | Line 5: | ||
[[Image:Im19531003PP-Boo.jpg|thumb| October 1953.]] | [[Image:Im19531003PP-Boo.jpg|thumb| October 1953.]] | ||
of Kendal and later of Lancaster also | of Kendal and later of Lancaster also. Makers of '''K Shoes'''. | ||
1842 [[Robert Miller Somervell]] opened a "Shoemaking Accessories Merchant and Leather Factor" business. | 1842 [[Robert Miller Somervell]] opened a "Shoemaking Accessories Merchant and Leather Factor" business. | ||
Line 11: | Line 11: | ||
1845 The company moved to Bridge End, Netherfield, Kendal. | 1845 The company moved to Bridge End, Netherfield, Kendal. | ||
1848 The company became '''Somervell Brothers''', a partnership between brothers | 1848 The company became '''Somervell Brothers''', a partnership between brothers [[Robert Miller Somervell]] and [[John Somervell]]. | ||
1853 Purchased the whole Netherfield site | 1853 Purchased the whole Netherfield site |
Revision as of 15:42, 3 August 2023





of Kendal and later of Lancaster also. Makers of K Shoes.
1842 Robert Miller Somervell opened a "Shoemaking Accessories Merchant and Leather Factor" business.
1845 The company moved to Bridge End, Netherfield, Kendal.
1848 The company became Somervell Brothers, a partnership between brothers Robert Miller Somervell and John Somervell.
1853 Purchased the whole Netherfield site
1857 Introduced sewing machines
1865 The company, now a manufacturer of shoes, began to use its "K" logo.
1871 Employing 500 people.[1]
1875 Registered the trademark 'K'
1899 Company now employs 600 persons.[2]
c1900 The company was by this time manufacturing 175,000 pairs of shoes a year.
1915 Became a limited company
1920 A new factory was built in Lancaster.
1927 London office opened
1937 With C. and J. Clark the took over the failing Abbots retail chain
1949 Became a public company: K Shoes Ltd.
1953 Acquired the footwear manufacturing subsidiary of W. Abbott and Sons[3]
1951 Opened a factory at Low mills, Kendal. later opened others at Askam-in-Furness, Workington, Millom, Shap.
1961 Acquired W. H. H. Clarke of Norwich
1981 Company merged with Clarks Shoes.
2003 Production ceased.
See Also
Sources of Information
- Trademarked. A History of Well-Known Brands - from Aertex to Wright's Coal Tar by David Newton. Pub: Sutton Publishing 2008 ISBN 978-0-7509-4590-5
- Cumbria Industries