Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,711 pages of information and 247,105 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James Brown (1862-1941)

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 13:10, 18 October 2016 by Ait (talk | contribs)

of Scotts of Greenock,

Member of Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland

Connected with the construction of the Scott-Still-engined vessel Dolius, built c.1924 and subjected to several years of testing, including about 150,000 miles service.


1941 Obituary [1]

JAMES BROWN, C.B.E., Wh.Sc., was identified with Messrs. Scotts' Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Ltd., of Greenock, for no less than thirty-seven years, and at the time of his death, which occurred on 13th January 1941, he was deputy chairman and managing director. During this long period he was actively concerned with several notable developments in marine propulsion, including the building of the Laurenti submarine, the building of the Scott-Still engines for the Dolius, of the Holt Line, and the application of Diesel-electric drive to ships.

He was born in Kirkcudbright in 1862, and during 1877 and 1878 he studied engineering subjects at the University of Glasgow. In 1881 he commenced a five years' apprenticeship at the Provanside works of Messrs. A. and P. Stevens, and in 1886 he obtained a Whitworth Scholarship. In the same year he entered the drawing office of Messrs. J. and G. Thomson, of Clydebank (afterwards Messrs. John Brown and Company), and in 1889 he went to Spain as assistant manager to Messrs. Astilleros de Nervion, Bilbao.

Subsequently he was made engineering manager, and in 1900 he returned to England and joined Messrs. Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Company, of Jarrow on Tyne, as works manager. His association with Messrs. Scotts dated from 1903, when he was appointed engineering manager. In 1905 he was made a director, and in 1914 he became managing director and deputy chairman. He was awarded the C.B.E. in 1918.

He was a keen supporter and valued member of several technical institutions. He joined the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1920, and rendered valuable services in connection with the Marine Oil-Engines Trials Committee, and was joint author of a monograph on torsional oscillation which was appended to the Sixth Report. He was elected a Member of Council in 1925 and served until 1938. In addition he was a vice-president of the Institution of Naval Architects, and a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He also served as a member of the Committee of Management of Lloyd's Register of Shipping, and was a governor of the Royal Technical College, Glasgow.


1941 Obituary [2]



1941 Obituary [3]



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information