Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,364 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 52 High Holborn, London, WC2.
1924 British Ropes Ltd, incorporated on 6 June 1924, was formed through a merger of eight companies. Seven of these made wire rope only, whilst one (Craven and Speeding) made fibre products, particularly binder twine. The eight companies were:
In 1925 and 1926 the new company acquired nine wire rope manufacturers, four firms of specialist wire drawers and five fibre rope makers. The wire rope companies were:
The wire drawers were:
The fibre rope makers were:
1926 Further investments had been made in a number of subsidiary companies including:
1935 Built a new factory at Retford.
1936 Purchased John Homes of East Ardsley
1937 Wire, wirerope, hemprope, and sailcloth manufacturers. "Blue Strand" Tru-lay Aircraft Cord. 
Mid 1940s After rationalisation British Ropes operated only seven wire rope factories. These were located at: Cardiff, 2 plants at Doncaster, Gateshead, Retford, Rutherglen, and Wakefield. Fibre rope and cordage production had been concentrated at: Cardiff, Charlton, Leith, and Sunderland.
1953 British Ropes Ltd regained its original holding in Templeborough Rolling Mills, the first nationalised company to be sold by the Iron and Steel Holding and Rationalization Agency, which was their principal supplier of rod. British Ropes Ltd held 50 percent of the shares in William Cooke and Co Ltd.
1954 Acquired Humber Ropes, Grimsby and the remaining 50 percent of William Cooke
1960 Ropes of steel wire, Sisal, Manila, Hemp, Nylon and of Terylene polyester fibre. 
1965 Acquired Great Grimsby Coal, Salt and Tanning Co (rope making interests only)
1966 Acquired Henry Bannister (purchase of goodwill only)
1968 Acquired Healey Brothers, Heywood
1968 Queen's Award to Industry for Technological Innovation. 
1969 Acquired Hugh Lewis and Sons
1970 Acquired Binks Brothers of Milwall,
1971 Acquired Gourock Ropework Co, Port Glasgow
1973 British Steel sold its carbon- and mild-steel wire-making activities at Warrington (Rylands and Whitecross) and at Middlesbrough (Dorman Long) into a new company Rylands-Whitecross, jointly owned by Tinsley Wire Industries and British Ropes
1974 the name of the parent company was changed to Bridon Ltd, with four subsidiary companies in the UK and Europe, comprising British Ropes, Bridon Wire, Bridon Fibres and Plastics and Bridon Engineering.