Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,092 pages of information and 210,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Andrews (1829-1893)
brother of John Orme Andrews
1893 Obituary 
CHARLES ANDREWS was born at Kennington, Surrey, on the 2nd of January, 1829, and was educated at a private school in that neighbourhood.
At an early age he entered the office of Herman and Wontner, Architects and Surveyors, London, where he acquired that skill as a draughtsman and knowledge of architecture which were of much service to him in after life.
In 1845 he joined his brother, Mr. A. T. Andrews, who was then acting as Agent for Grissell and Peto on the construction of part of the Eastern Counties Railway between Ely and Cambridge. Towards the end of the same year he followed his brother to Lowestoft, that gentleman having been appointed Resident Engineer to the Lowestoft Harbour and Railway Co.
Three years later the works of this company were partially suspended and he then joined the staff of James Hodges, who was constructing the Great Northern Railway between Boston and Gainsborough. On the completion of that work he was appointed by the late Joseph Cubitt an Assistant Engineer on the London district of the same railway.
In 1850 Mr. Andrews entered the office of the late Thomas Page, under whom he was engaged in the preparation of the working drawings for the Victoria and Albert Bridges across the Thames at Windsor, and for the Chelsea Suspension and new Westminster Bridges.
Four years later he was appointed an Assistant Engineer on the Staines and Wokingham Railway, under John Gardner, and was subsequently engaged as Agent for George Bolton and Co, contractors, of Leeds, on the construction of the Bradford, Wakefield and Leeds, and the South Durham and Lancaster Railways.
At the expiration of his engagement with that firm which lasted some four years, Mr. Andrews commenced to practise on his own account in London about 1860.....[more]