Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,385 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Harry Lorimer Riseley (1870-1933), for 37 years with the North Eastern Electric Supply Co
1933 Obituary 
HARRY LORIMER RISELEY was born in 1870 and received his education at Rugby and St. Paul's School, London. He served his apprenticeship from 1887 to 1891 at Messrs. J. and H. Gwynnes of Hammersmith, for whom he later became an outside foreman erector for a further four years. During this period he carried out all the mechanical work in connexion with a new graving dock at Sevastopol, and he did similar work at Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, Stockport, Birkenhead, and Marseilles.
In 1900 Mr. Riseley was appointed chief engineer for the Newcastle upon Tyne Electric Supply Company and retained this position until his death, which occurred on 20th February 1933. Among the many important works of which Mr. Riseley had charge was the erection of the new power station at Dunston on Tyne.
He had been a Member of the Institution since 1902 and was also a Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.
1933 Obituary 
HARRY LORIMER RISELEY died at Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, on February 20, 1933, after an illness lasting some weeks.
Born on January 5, 1870, he was educated at Rugby and St. Paul's School, London; subsequently he passed on to the City and Guilds of London Institute. After four years' apprenticeship to Messrs. John and Henry Gwynne, London, he became their outside representative in charge of erection work in 1891; he spent two years in Sebastopol, superintending the building of new graving dock machinery, and was engaged on the erection of pumping and other plant at Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, Stockton, Birkenhead and Marseilles, the works at the latter place being connected with land reclamation.
He then became works manager to Messrs. P. Liddell & Co., London, for a few months, and in 1896 he was appointed outside representative of Messrs. Ferranti, of Hollinwood, in which capacity he had charge of the erection of plant for various electricity undertakings, including those at Hammersmith, Hampstead, Deptford, Hanley and Worcester.
In November, 1899, Mr. Riseley was appointed constructional engineer of the Neptune Bank power station, Wallsend, of the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co., Ltd. (now the North- Eastern Electric Supply Co., Ltd.); this station was opened in 1901, when Mr. Riseley became head of the constructional engineering department of the company, which position he still occupied at the time of his death.
Mr. Riseley was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, and of the North-East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders.
He joined the Iron and Steel Institute in 1910.