Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Little is known about this yard, which was based at Connah's Quay, Deeside, North Wales. The yard built stern-wheelers, coasters, tugs, and yachts. It closed during the Depression of the early 1930s.
J. Crichton & Co. Ltd was a shipbuilding company, based in Saltney, Flintshire, during the early 20th century.
It was established in 1913 by James Crichton (1885-1932), on the banks of the River Dee, on the outskirts of the city of Chester. Initially it operated as a subsidiary of C. and H. Crichton, the ship repair business owned by Charles Crichton, the father of James Crichton.
From 1915, J. Crichton & Company Limited was registered as an independent company.
In 1918, the company acquired another shipyard, at Connah's Quay, Flintshire, which increased its shipbuilding capacity. The company built many kinds of vessel, including tugs, barges, ferries, lightships and launches.
The Saltney Yard closed in 1935, due to economic problems and overcapacity in shipyards.