London Power Co
1920 London Electricity Joint Committee (1920) Ltd was established as a private company by 9 London electricity supply companies in opposition to the schemes proposed by the Electricity Commissioners for London. Its purpose was to promote the better development of electricity supplies in London.
1925 10 electricity supply companies were represented on the company's board. Acquired the Acton Lane, Willesden and Amberley Road generating stations and certain transmission lines of the Metropolitan Electric Supply Co and took lease of the generating and main transmission assets of the other companies. The members undertook to take supplies from the company. These were:
- Brompton and Kensington Electricity Supply Co Ltd
- Central Electric Supply Co Ltd
- Charing Cross, West End and City Electricity Supply Co Ltd
- Chelsea Electricity Supply Co Ltd
- Kensington and Knightsbridge Electric Lighting Co Ltd
- Notting Hill Electric Lighting Co Ltd
- London Electric Supply Corporation Ltd
- St. James's and Pall Mall Electric Light Co Ltd
- Westminster Electric Supply Corporation Ltd
- Metropolitan Electric Supply Co Ltd
1926 Public company incorporated.
Constructed a new base-load power station - Deptford West Power Station - as part of a plan to replace the comparatively small and old power stations by a few large and more efficient ones.
1929-33 Constructed Battersea Power Station.
1948 Nationalisation of the electricity industry; the company was incorporated into the British Electricity Authority