Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,904 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Robert Cain Brewery

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
2020. Brewery in Stanhope Street, built for Robert Cain. Taken over by Daniel Higson Ltd as Higson's Brewery. Became the Robert Cain Brewery again, but now closed
JD 2020 Higson2.jpg
JD 2020 Higson4.jpg
The Grapes - the brewery tap
JD 2020 Higson6.jpg
JD 2020 Higson7.jpg
JD 2020 Higson8.jpg

Brewers of Liverpool

1850 Established by Robert Cain, an Irish immigrant, at age 24 when he bought a small pub in Limekiln Lane and started brewing his own ales.

By 1858 Robert Cain was able to buy an old established brewery site on Stanhope Street.

c.1883 Robert Cain had built 200 pubs on Merseyside, including three of the most gloriously extravagant pubs in Britain: The Philharmonic, The Vines and The Central. He had also built himself a palatial mansion set in six acres of grounds.

1887 Started work on a new red brick brewery with an ornate tower.

1911 Cains was merged with Walkers of Warrington, becoming Walker Cains, and production was switched to Warrington.

1919 One of the top 50 companies in the UK.

1923 the Stanhope Street Brewery was sold to Higson's (acquired by Boddingtons in 1985; the brewery was acquired by Whitbread in 1989 and the Stanhope Street Brewery was closed).

1990 the Stanhope Street brewery was re-opened by The Danish Brewery Group and re-named Robert Cain & Co Ltd but tight margins brought it to the brink of closure again in 2002.

2002 The Stanhope Street brewery was acquired by the Dusanj brothers.

2008 The company was placed in administration.

2020 'Cains Brewery Village' is being developed on the site.

Brewery Buildings

The fine earthenware facade on Stanhope Street bears the date 1902 and the discrete monogram RC. The words Daniel Higson Ltd. Higson's Brewery also appear on the facade, presumably added after 1923 (when the brewery was sold to Higson's). The date 1887 appears in the courtyard, and 1883 over an office door.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information