Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,686 pages of information and 235,430 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Royal Albert Dock

From Graces Guide
1921. Extension.
1921.
1921.
1921.
1921.
1921.
1955. The Gallions Entrance Lock.

1874 the London and St. Katharine Docks Company decided to construct the Royal Albert Dock as an extension of the Victoria Dock (which then acquired the prefix "Royal").

1880 Dock opened with entrance basin and dock in Galleons Reach. The dock was capable of admitting the largest vessels afloat, except the SS Great Eastern; the entrance lock was 800ft. long and 80ft. wide, and with a depth of 30ft. on the sills below Trinity high water[1]

c.1883 John Lysaght constructed large iron sheds at the Docks[2]

1885-6 Construction of Gallions entrance

1894 The Royal Albert Dock covered 432 acres, accomodated massive steamers; 33 vessels could be moored alongside.

Part of the Port of London.

1921 A new dock was built to the south of the Royal Albert Dock - the extension [3] was later named King George V Dock.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer 1881/09/23
  2. The Engineer 1885/07/17
  3. The Engineer 1921/07/08