Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,376 pages of information and 211,456 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Motorcycle and car manufacturers of Selly Oak, Birmingham, and 101 New Bond St, London
See also -
1906 March. Components Ltd floated Ariel Motors (1906) Ltd as a public company to take over the manufacturing of Ariel motorcars (which had been carried on by the Ariel Cycle Co and other subsidiaries of Components Ltd at Selly Oak, Birmingham) and the retail business Ariel Motors Ltd at Long Acre, London. The purpose was to carry on the business of manufacture and sale of Ariel and Ariel-Simplex cars. Planned to open negotiations with Bruce Peebles and Co for reciprocal working. Directors were: J. F. Albright, Arthur C. Peebles, Gerard B. Elkington, J. E. Hutton and Charles T. B. Sangster as MD.  
1907 Ariel Motors was located in Birmingham but in 1907 Ariel cars were reported being made in Coventry according to Autocar, 25 May 1907 .
1908 The name Ariel Simplex was abandoned because of the difficulty of defending the use of the Simplex term; henceforth the cars would be known as Ariel.
1909 Ariel Motors (1906) Ltd - bankrupt.
1911 By now, Ariel had purchased the rights to White and Poppe and had begun to make engines themselves, with a much higher capacity. They soon produced models, from tourer to TT racer, with a variety of belt-drive transmissions.
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Motorcycles see the 1917 Red Book
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Petrol Motor Commercial Vehicles see the 1917 Red Book
1914 Address of "makers or agents" given as 324 Camberwell New Road, London SE.
1914 An Abingdon engine was used and it, and some singles, adopted a three-speed gearbox and a chain-cum-belt drive. The saddle was connected to a spring frame on the saddle tube to give a comfortable ride.
1916 Throughout the rest of the Great War, the company supplied the War Office with 3.5hp singles and a few V-twins.
1918 Jack Sangster joined the company, of which his father Charles Sangster was managing director. Sangster designed a small low cost car which he began manufacturing. The design of the car was later sold to Rover, with Sangster joining Rover to manage the production of the car which became the Rover Eight model.