Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,089 pages of information and 227,378 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of GEC
1914 Undertook complete central station equipment 
1930 Development of high voltage switchgear and higher rated transformers for the National Grid. Contracts for the Manchester-Altrincham electrification and other railway projects; orders for ships with electrified propulsion.
1939 GEC's Witton factory was keeping pace with developments in transformers, faster-acting switch gear and traction equipment. Railway electrification business was won, both at home and abroad. Siemens and General Electric Railway Signal Co had experienced a busy year.
1956 GEC-Simon Carves Atomic Energy Group received the order for one of 3 nuclear power stations (at Hunterston) ordered by the Central Electricity Authority. GEC was to be main contractor.
1959 After discussions between GEC-Simon-Carves Ltd-Atomic Power Group and Atomic Power Constructions Ltd, the 2 groups agreed to collaborate on the design and construction of nuclear power stations. The two groups would submit joint tenders for the Dungeness power station.
1965. As a response to the CEGB's policy of restricting orders for turbo-generators to just two designs (when there were 4 manufacturers), C. A. Parsons and Co bought the turbo-generator business of GEC
1967 GEC acquired Associated Electrical Industries (AEI). The GEC Switchgear business brought together the corresponding businesses from the 2 companies; GEC Switchgear and AEI: Switchgear were rapidly integrated. The combined transformer business would be concentrated at AEI's Wythenshawe factory. AEI Turbine Generators had won 2 large orders from USA, one involving gas turbines that would be built at Trafford Park; there were also orders from UK and marine orders (GEC was the only UK manufacturer of geared steam turbine propulsion systems). AEI Large Electrical Machines had suffered from a lack of orders
1968 GEC merged with the English Electric Co. This merger would give "The General Electric and English Electric Companies Limited" almost exactly half of the turbo-generator business. On 6th September the two companies issued a joint statement announcing that ‘a total merger should be effected between them ... under the chairmanship of Lord Nelson with Arnold Weinstock as managing director’.
1969 GEC Power Engineering was formed which included:
GEC had 9 other product divisions including 6 foundries
1972 English Electric-AEI Turbines received support for a project from government programme for the machine tool industry 
1989 GEC Alsthom was formed as a 50/50 joint venture by the merger of the power and transport divisions of Compagnie Générale d'Electricité (CGE) and GEC. From CGE's point of views, France’s market was not sufficient by itself so the merger would enable GEC Alsthom to address the whole of Europe. From GEC's point of view it provided GEC's power division with access to large gas turbine technology (which it had previously been licensing from GE of the U.S.A. and which was increasingly demanded by the privatised electricity companies in the UK and elsewhere).