Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,469 pages of information and 245,911 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

1908 Stock Exchange Year-Book: Miscellaneous Companies: C

From Graces Guide

Note: This is a sub-section of the 1908 Stock Exchange Year-Book

- A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

Pdf50.jpg Full Entries PDF

Abbreviated entries (including processing errors)

  • C. A. S. Punch and Ticket Co, Limited.—Directors: E. Power (Chairman), E. J. Crow, O. O. Dale, and W. W. Weber (Managing Director). Secretary: H. Rogers. O;ffice: 1, Queen’s Road, Dalston, N.E.—The company was registered April 29, 1903, to acquire certain patent rights.
  • C. A. Sperati (The Special Agency), Limited.—Directors; A. J. MacGregor, R. T. Marsh, T. Sperati, and R. Turncock. Secretary: J. D. Dutton. Offices: 5, Mitre Court, Milk Street, Cheapside, E.C.—The company was registered March 1, 1907, to acquire tlie business of merchants, manufacturers, agents, and importers of various kinds of wholesale clothiers’ and woollen merchants’ trimmings, &c., of the Special Agency Co]], Limited, registered December 2, 1882.
  • C. and A. Musker (1901), Linnted.—Director's: A. Musker and C. Musker. Secretary: J. R. Rowlands. Offi,ce : Tuebrook, Liverpool.—The company was registered June 22, 1901, to take over the business of hydraulic and electrical engineers of a company of almost similar title, registered March 8, 1897.
  • C. and W. Walker, Limited.—Directors: J. F. Wright (Chairman), A. Featherstone, W. Perrott, and C. H. Wright. General Manager: II. F. Wright. Secretary: W. Cottrell. Office : Donnington, Newport, Salop.—The company was registered May 3, 1899, to take over the business of gas engineers, &c., of the firm of the same name.
  • C. Arthur Pearson, Limited.—Directors : Sir W. J. Ingram, Bart. (Chairman), P. Keary (Joint Managing Director), C. A. Pearson (Joint Managing Director), A. W. Stirling, P. W. Everett, J. M. Bathgate (Business Manager), and H. Ingram. Secretary: A. J. Stone. Office: 17-18, Henrietta Street, W.C.—The company was registered June 26, 1896, to take over the business of newspaper and magazine publishers carried on by a private company under the same title.
  • C. Davidson and Sons, Limited.—Directors: A. Davidson (Chairman), D. Davidson C, W. Davidson, W. D. Davidson, and J. Mackie. Secretary: W. E. Grassick. Office: Mugiemoss Works, Bucksburn, Aberdeen.—The company was registered February 18, 1875, to take over the business of paper manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
  • C. H. Glover and Co, Limited.—Directors: A. W. Glover, E. Glover, M. H. Glover (ManagingDirector), and F. Ranson. Seo'etary: H. A. English. O^ce: Ormside Street, Old Kent Road, S.E.—The company was registered June 28,1898, to take over a business of timber merchants and importers, and wholesale box and case makers.
  • C. H. Walker and Co, Limited.—Directors: R. W. Perks, M.P. and C. H. Walker, Secretary : A. L. Robinson. Office: 15, Great George Street, S.W.—The company was registered April 20, 1898, to acquire the business of contractor of Mr. T. A. Walker.
  • C. Pass and Son, Limited.—Directors: S. H. Badock, A. D. Pass, Mrs. E. Pass, F. N. Tribe, and C. N. M. Warren (Secretary). Office: Bedminster Smelting Works. Bristol.— The company was registered August 30, 1894, to acquire the business of metal smelters of the firm of the same name.
  • C. S. Henry and Co, Limited.—Directors: U. H. Broughton, A. W. Evarts, A. Lewisohn, J. Lewisohn, W. Rockfeller, H. H. Rogers, and C. S. Henry, M.P., all except the last named being of New York. Office: 12, Leadenhall Street, E.C.—The company was registered April 30, 1902, to take over the business of metal brokers and general merchants of the firm of the same name.
  • C. T. Bowring and Co, Limited.—Directors: Sir W. B. Bowring, Bart. (Chairman), T. B. Bowring, F. C. Bowring, E. R. Bowring, J. B. Wimble, L. B. Stoddart, H. A. Bowring, C. W. Bowring, E. H. B. Skimming, and C. Bowring. Secretary: Wm. G. Band. Office: 20, Castle Street, Liverpool.—The company was registered March 18, 1899, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, steamship owners, ship and insurance brokers and merchants.
  • C. Tinling and Co, Limited.—Directors; Sir R. A. Hampson (Chairman), G. Banner, W. F. Machray (Managing Director), and F. M. Radcliffe. Secretary: A. Hiatt. Offices: Courier Office, Victoria Street, Liverpool, and 81, Fleet Street, E.C.—The company was registered June 30, 1904, to acquire the business of the firm of the same name, newspaper proprietors, &c.
  • C. Whittaker and Co, Limited.—Directors .* Col. T. Baxter, and H. Packham. Secretary: R. near Rochester, Kent.—The company was the paperworks of the firm of this name, together with gasworks the gasworks, however, have since been sold.
  • Cabins (1901), Limited.—Directors : K. A. Peacock (Chairman), J. Frankenburg (Managing Director), J. Kellock, and T. F. Wilson. Secretaries: Davies, Tait and Co. Office: 46, Queen Victoria Street, E.C.—The company was registered December 19, 1901, to acquire the business of restaurateurs of a company of almost similar title, registered April 19, 1893.
  • Caima Timber Estate and Wood Pulp Co, Limited.— Directors: E. L. Atkinson (Oporto), J. Cooper, and F. G. Horne. Secretary: A. H. P. Horne. O^ce: 120, Bishopsgate Street Within, E.C.—The company was registered May 17, 1888, and acquired a timber estate in Portugal.
  • Cairo Exchange, Limited.—Directors: Col. J, R. P, Gordon, C.B., F. H. Russell, and P. W. Stout (Managing Director), all resident in Cairo. Secretary: W. M. Russell. Offife: 5 A, Wardrobe Place, Doctors’ Commons, E.C.—The company was registered May 6, 1907, to acquire the business of stockbrokers and agents de change carried on in Cairo by Messrs. Hogg and Stout.
  • Calcott Brothers, Limited.—Directors: J. Caleott (Chairman and Managing Director), J. Calcott, Jun., J. B. Dunlop, Jun., and W. Lee. Secretary: W. Cadman. Office: XL Works, Coventry.—The company was registered August 29, 1896, to acquire the business of cycle manufacturers.
  • Caledonian Bleaching and Printing Co, Limited.—Directors: R. Hoyle, J. L. Buckley, and W. G. Buckley. Secretary ;,A. L. Entwisle. Office: 4, St. Ann’s Square, Manchester.—The company was registered September 11, 1903, to acquire the business of Peter Reid and Sons]], Limited, bleachers, dyers, &c.
  • Calico Printers Association, Limited.—Directors: R. P. He wit (Chairman), N. Clegg (Vice-Chairman), C. Heape, Sir F. Hollins, Bart., L. B. Lee, and J. H. Macmillan. Executive: C. J. Higginbotham (Chairman), C. Roberts, and W. Whittaker. Secretary: H. Elton. Office: 66, Mosley Street, Manchester.—The company was registered Novembers, 1899, for the purpose of acquiring and amalgamating various companies and firms engaged in the calico printing industry, and further businesses have since been acquired.
  • California Oilfields, Limited,—Directors: R. Balfour, M.P. (Chairman), J. Halliday, C. H. Moore, and A. Williamson, M.P. Secretary: F. W. Bishop. Office: Dashwood House, E.C.—The company was registered April 3, 1901, to acquire oil lands of a total area of about 7 square miles, situated in Fresno County, California, U.S.A.; in 1906 additional properties (1,680 acres) were acquired
  • California Pastoral and Agricultural Co, Limited.—Directors: W. H. Murray (Chairman), E. L. I. Blyth, W. S. Haldane, A. L. Menzies, and A. Wallace. Secretary: A. R. Archibald. Office: 123, George Street, Edinburgh.—The company was registered April 29, 1901, in reconstruction of a company of the same name registered June 8, 1882, to acquire a ranch of 107,000 acres, situated in the Valley of the San Joaquin, California, and a herd of cattle.
  • Californian Petroleum Refineries, Limited.—Directors : S. Symons (Chairman), H. J. Crocker, J. Hay (Managing Director), I. Liebes, W. H. Macgarvey, T. Stoker, and C. /Symons. Secretary : W. Griffiths. Office: 165, Fenchurch Street, E.C.—The company was registered June 20, 1905, to erect a petroleum refinery at or near San Francisco and to carry on the business of petroleum refiners and dealers.
  • Callard, Stewart and Watt, Limited—Directors: H. F. Monro (Chairman), E. Callard, T. B. Callard, M. W. Keith, H. Marden, and F. W. Schneberger. Secretary: H. Gilbert. Office: 49, Old Bond Street, W.—The Company was registered November 17, 1896, to acquire certain businesses of bakers, confectioners, &c.
  • Camina Nitrate Co, Limited.—Being wound up. Liquidator: W. J. Welch, 27, Leadenhall Street, E.C.
  • Campos Syndicate, Limited.— Directors: Sir C. Smith, Kt. (Chairman), Sir J. White- head, Bart., W. C. Anderson, H. H. L, Bellot, T. M. Harvey, and A. McArthur. Secretary: W. Beesley. Office: 11, Victoria Street, Westminster.—The company was registered October 12, 1885, for the purpose of carrying out a system of drainage and providing water to the city of Campos, in Brazil. Under the concession granted to the company the government guarantees to the company the revenue to which it is entitled; and on the termination of the concession in 1934 the works revert to the government without payment.
  • Camwal, Limited.—Dircectors; H. Davenport (Chairman), H. M. Davenport, G. Goldfinch, F. A. Gould, H. Kemp, and J. H. Wilson. Secretary: H. T. Butler. Office: 112, Pembroke Street, Caledonian Road, N. —The company was registered January 13,1900, to take over and extend the business of the Chemists’ Aerated and Mineral Waters Association]], Limited, registered August 6, 1878.
  • Canada North-West Coal and Lumber Syndicate, Limited.—Directors: T. B. H. Cochrane, Earl Egerton of Tatton, and Earl of Norbury. Secretary: J. W. Knowles. Office: 24, Craven Street, W.C.—The company was registered August 14, 1889, to acquire properties situated at Canmore, and Mitford, Alberta, N.W.T., Canada.
  • Canadian Electric Traction Co, Limited.—Directors: C. Steel (Chairman), S. A. Chambers, A. Hickling, H. E. Hoare, H. E. Hogg, E. S, Portheim, and F. G. Rumball. Secretary: F. B. Fuller. Office: 13, St. Helen’s Place, E.C.—The company was registered January 12, 1904, for the purpose of the development, construction and operation of lines of electric railways in various parts of the Dominion of Canada and elsewhere, and as a first undertaking secured a contract to finance the construction of lines under a concession obtained by the South-Western Traction Company, running from Hamilton, Ontario, to Glencoe and Strathroy, and between the towns of London, St. Thomas, Aylmer, and Port Stanley, a total of 159 miles. The lines at present in operation are of a total length of 30 miles, the construction of which was completed late in 1907.
  • Canadian General Electric Co, Limited.—Head Office: Toronto.— The company was formed in 1891 by the amalgamation of the principal companies in Canada controlling the manufacture of electrical appliances.
  • Canadian Oil Fields, Limited.—Directors: Maj.-Gen. Sir W. H. R. Green, K.C.S.I., C.B. (Chairman), E. L. Bentley, J. E. Gladstone, A. F. Hood, and E. D. Noble. Secretary: H. J. Hardy. Office: 1, St. Mary Axe, E.C.—The company was registered April 4, 1902, to acquire as a going concern 561 acres of oil lauds on which a large number of wells had been sunk, and in 1903 a further 88 acres of freehold land were acquired, together with boring rights on another 150 acres.
  • Canadian Pacific Sulphite Pulp Co, Limited.— Directors: W. A. Meilis, A. E. Reed, M. A. Sands, and E. E. Sawyer. Secretary: M. T. Wigham. Office: 826, Salisbury House, E.C.—The company was registered May 31, 1906, to acquire the whole of the issued capital of the Oriental Power and Pulp Co, Limited, of Vancouver, British Columbia, owning leases of about 84,000 acres of pulp timber lands on Princess Royal Island and the adjacent mainland, in British Columbia, together with a water power and about 500 acres of freehold land ; and to erect and work upon such lands, pulp, paper and saw mills.
  • Canary Islands Co, Limited.—Directors: Lt.-Col. W. W. Cragg (Chairman), W. M. Blyth, R. A. Gillespie, and J. Hamilton. Secretary: A. Heitland-Browne. Office: Lloyd’s Avenue, E.C.—The company was registered August 15,1888, mainly with a view of erecting a hotel and carrying out water contracts entered into with the municipality of Las Palmas.
  • Cannan's Soap Works, Directors: J. W. Evans, T. Goodall, C. Roberts, and A. Stannard. Secretary: F. T. Naylor. Office: 21, Queen Victoria Street, E.C.'—The company was registered December 4, 1906, to take over the business of soap manufacturers of William Caiman, Limited.
  • Cannock and Co, Limited.— Directors: D. Tidmarsh (Chairman), J. M. Tidmarsh, P.R. Toppin (Managing Director), and W. Walsh. Secretary: W. Walsh. Office: 138, George Street, Limerick.—The company was registered January 31, 1877, to take over the business of wholesale and retail drapers and warehousemen of the firm of the same name.
  • Canterbury and Paragon, Limited.—Directors : E. Rawlings (Chairman), H. H. Wells (Managing Director), and H. Tozer. Secretary: C. Meggy. Office: 143, Westminster Bridge Road, S.E.—The company was registered June 17,1887, to acquire the “ Canterbury'’ and “Paragon” music halls in London, held on leases for unexpired terms of respectively 20 (since extended to 36) and 28 years.
  • Cape Asbestos Co, Limited.—Directors; L. Breitmeyer (Chairman), B. Seimer (Vice-Chairman), A. Dellacha, H. Hirsche, and F. Oats. : H. Kolkmann. Office : 23, King Street, Cheapside, E.C.—The company was registered December 28, 1893, to acquire an asbestos property in South Africa, with manufacturing premises in London, Turin, Laval, and Hamburg.
  • Cape Town Consolidated Tramways and Land Co, Limited. — Directors: R. Littlejohn (Chairman), H. D. Boyle, L. Breitmeyer, Dr. F. R. Harris, and G. Pauling. Secretary: S. W. Jameson. Office: 1, London Wall Buildings, E.C.—The company was registered June 6, 1906, in reconstruction of a company of similar title, registered December 14, 1901, and holds the shares in three local Cape companies, one of which has constructed an electric tramway, one owns an estate about 420 acres in extent situated at the foot of Table Mountain, which is being developed, and one owns an estate situated at Camps Bay, comprising an area of about 1,020 acres, besides the lease of a property about 1,270 acres in extent which has a supply of water.
  • Capsuloid Co, Limited.— Directors: Dr. G. E. Dixon (Managing Director) and W. H. Webb. Secretary: J. E. Walters. Office: 47, Holborn Viaduct, B.C.—The company was registered September 30, 1902, to acquire a going business.
  • Cardiff and Channel Mills, Limited.—Directors: W. E. Nicholls (Chairman), W, Allen, W. H. Mathias, E. Nicholls, and C. H. Williams. Secretary: W. P. Woolridge. Office: 24, Custom House Street, Cardiff.—The company was registered July 6, 1903, to amalgamate the New Cardiff Milling Co, Limited, and the Phoenix Milling Co, Limited.
  • Cardiff Pure Ice and Cold Storage Co, Limited.—Directors: A. Foa (Chairman), F. G. Burge, G. Lloyd, J. Morgan, W. Thomas, and H. Wain. Secretary: R. Rees. Office: 2^ Queen Street, Cardiff.—The company was registered October 10, 1887.
  • Cargill Steam Trawling Co, Limited. S. McLardy (Chairman), E. B. Cargill (Managing Director), E. Carter, F. Dalton, W. Gemmell, W. Hart, and N. Mannock. Secretary: H. Hardaker. Office: Fish Market, St. Andrew’s Dock, Hull.— The company was registered March 8, 1897, to take over the business and properties of Mr. E. B. Cargill.
  • Carl Hentschel (1908), Limited.—Directors: C. Hentschel (Chairman and Joint Managing Director), A. T. Clark (Joint Managing Director), H. Furniss, H. J. Gibbins (Secretary), and J. Grego. Office: 182-3, Fleet Street, E.C.—The company was registered February 22, 1906, to take over the business of photo engravers of Carl Hentschel, Limited, the Meisenbach Co, Limited, and the Hentschel Colourtype (1901), Limited.
  • Carpet Manufacturing Co, Limited. — Directors: W. H. Smith (Chairman), A. G. Cowell, W. A. Lawson, E. J. Morten, J. Smith, and W. H. Stewart-Smith. Secretaries: A. G. Viney and E. Lloyd. Office: New Road, Kidderminster.—The company was registered July 3, 1890, to take over the businesses of Messrs. Morton and Sons and Messrs. Richard Smith and Sons.
  • Carr and Co, Limited.—Director's: W. T. Carr (Chairman), L. Carr, E. Carr, F. A. Carr, and W. P. Key (Secretary). Office: Carlisle.—The company was registered February 27, 1894, to acquire the business of millers, corn merchants, and bread and biscuit manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
  • Carreras, Limited.—Directors: B. Baron (Chairman and Managing Director), L. B. Baron, C. Kearton, and W. J. Yapp. Secretary: H. W. Danbury. Ofice: 4-8, St. James Place, Aidgate, E.C.—The company was registered June 13, 1903, to acquire a business of tobacconists.
  • Carron Grove Paper Co, Limited.—Directors: J. Wilson (Chairman), J. G. F. Lowson, J. F. Moffatt, and W. M. Wallace (Resident Manager). Secretary : T. J. Wilson. O^e: 18, Queen Street, Edinburgh.—The company was registered May 31, 1877.
  • Carsons, Limited.—J. B. Hilliard (Chairman), W. Carson, F. E. Cullum, and A. E. Hillary (the last two being joint managing directors). Secretary: D. McKinlay. Office: Barrowfield Works, Bridgeton, Glasgow.—The company was registered October 11, 1906, as Carsons (1906), Limited, to acquire the business of a company of almost similar title, cocoa, chocolate, and confectionery manufacturers, registered September 24th, 1895, and in 1907 the name was slightly altered as above.
  • Carcavio Sugar Company (Peru), Limited.—Directors: M. P. Grace (Chairman), J. P. Eyre, and H. Shield. Secretary : A. H. Foster. O^ce: 144, Leadenhall Street, E.C. —The company was registered October 10, 1890, to acquire a freehold property covering an area of about 7,876 acres (since increased to 8,376 acres), on a considerable portion of which the cultivation of sugar was already in progress.
  • Carter, Paterson and Co, Limited.—Directors: J. J. Paterson (Managing Director), H. R. Paterson (Assistant Manager), A. L. Paterson, J. E. Carter, and James Paterson. Secretary; R. J. Paterson. Office: 128, Goswell Road, E.C.—The company was registered August 8, 1887, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, carriers and general forwarding agents.
  • Cascade (1906) Power Co, Limited.— Secretary: H. Robbins. Office: 695, Salisbury House, E.C.—The company was registered August 27, 11X)6.
  • Casebourne and Co, Limited.—Directors: T. H. Tristram, K.C. (Chairman), C. B. Casebourne, W. C. Gray, and F. T. Tristram (Managing Director). Secretary: J. Wright. Office : West Hartlepool.—The company was registered June 29, 1882, to acquire the freehold cement works at West Hartlepool and the leasehold steam brick works at Cowpen Bewley, near West Hartlepool, of the firm of the same name.
  • Cash and Co, Limited.—Directors: Sir J. A. Arnott, Bart. (Chairman), A. McOstrich, and T. Power (Managing Director). Secretary: W. Griffin. Office: 18, Patrick Street, Cork.—The company was registered April 14, 1902, to acquire the business, of drapers, &c., of a company of the same name, registered October 12, 1894.
  • Casino Municipal de Cannes, Limited.—Directors: Major J. E. Jameson (Chairman), J. H. Cartland, B. Desouches (Paris), Comte F. d’Harnoncourt (Nice), Comte H. C. le Bret (Paris), H. Lehmann (Paris), and H. Ruhl (Paris). Secretary: G. D. Price. Office: 8, Union Court, Old Broad Street, E.C.—The company was registered February 13, 1906, to acquire and work a concession granted by the Municipal Council of Cannes for the erection in that town of a casino, the laying out of winter gardens, &c.
  • Cassell and Co, Limited.—Directors: Sir C. Smith, Kt. (Chairman), E. Bale (Secretary), M. Morris, W. A. Posnett, A. B. Reed, R. Turner, and J. F. Wilson. General Manager: A. Spurgeon. Office: La Belle Sauvage, Ludgate Hill, E.C.— The company was registered April 26, 1883, to take over the business of Messrs. Cassell, Petter, Galpin and Co., printers, publishers, and bookbinders.
  • Castaneda (Havana) Cigar Factories, Limited.—Directors; Senor Don T. Castafieda (Chairman), G. Lopes (Deputy-Chairman), and A. Casella. Secretary: E. A. Chew. Office: 13, Savile Row, W.—The company was registered March 29, 1904, to establish a factory in Havana.
  • Castner Electrolytic Alkali Co. —Trustees for the First Mortgage Debenture Holders: F. Hardcastle, Hon. J. B. Henry, A. Henty, Sir W. Mather, and Sir W. Minton, C.B. London Office: 13, Abchurch Lane, E. C. Head Office: 33, Wall Street, New York.—The company was formed June 29, 1900, under the laws of the State of Virginia, United States, to acquire property and buildings at Niagara, besides the Castner patents for the United States and Canada, and to carry on the business of manufacturers of caustic soda and bleaching powder under the Castner electrolytic process.
  • Castner-Kellner Alkali Co, Limited.—Directors Rt. Hon. G. W. Balfour (Chairman), G. T. Beilby, G. H. Clarkson, F. Hardcastle, A. T. Hawes, J. S. Parkin, J. T. Petro, and Sir H. E. Roscoe. Secretary: P. S. Court. Office: 13, Abchurch Lane, E.C.— The company was registered October 19, 1895, to acquire from the Aluminium Co, Limited, of London, and Messrs. Solvay and Cie., of Brussels, the right of working in Great Britain, Ireland, and the British colonies (excepting Canada), the patents of Mr. H. Y. Castner and Dr. C. Kellner “for the manufacture of caustic alkali and bleaching powder, by means of the electrolytic decomposition of salt or alkaline salts.” In 1900 the entire business of the Aluminium Co, Limited, was absorbed.
  • Cater, Stoffell and Fortt, Limited.—Directors: W. M. Stoffell (Chairman) and F. W. Fortt. Secretary: E. J. Goddard. Office: 26, High Street, Bath.—The company was registered November 13, 1889, to acquire the businesses of Messrs. R. B. Cater and Co., Messrs. W. M. Stoffell and Co., and Messrs. Fortt and Son, wine and spirit merchants, grocers and provision merchants, caterers, &c., of Bath.
  • Cave, Austin and Co., Limited.— Directors: A. J. Cave (Chairman), C. H. Cave, C. Stamp (Secretary), and E. Underwood. Office: 7-8, Idol Lane, E.C.—The company was registered October 7, 1896, to take over certain businesses of wholesale and retail grocers, &c.
  • Cavendish House Co, Limited.—Directors.- Col. J. C. Griffith (Chairman), R. W. Kerr (Joint Managing Director), Col. N. B. Thoyts, and C. Williams (Joint Managing Director). Secretary: C. Parsons. Office: Cavendish House, Cheltenham.—The company was registered July 12, 1888, to take over the business of silk mercers, drapers, &c., carried on by a private company entitled the Cavendish House, Limited.
  • Cedar Valley Land and Cattle Co, Limited.—Directors: Lt.-Col. D. Stewart (Chairman), J. B. Kingscote, W, Radcliffe, and A. Williamson. Secretary: R. E. Mitchell, Office: 11, Queen Victoria Street, E.C.—The company was registered January 7, 1885.
  • Celluloid, Limited.—Directors: O. Berend (Chairman), G. Bernadac (Monville, France), Maj. T. Gray (Port Talbot), G. Grosjean (Paris), and J. L. Vion (Paris). Secretary: E. H. Dorn. Office: Spencer House, South Place, Finsbury, E.C.—The company was registered June 25, 1907, to carry on the business of manufacturers of, and dealers in, celluloid and imitation ivory, bone, coral and similar substances, &c.
  • Cellulose Co, Limited.—Directors: F. D. Leslie (Chairman), H. G. T. Hawes, J. S. Parkin, and J. T. Petro. Secretary: T. Prior. Office: 74, Coleman Street, E.C.—The company was registered November 23, 1905, to take over certain works and patent rights formerly belonging to Flax Pulp, Limited.
  • Centaur Cycle Co, Limited.—Directors: J. F. Johnson (Chairman), G. Gilbert (Joint Managing Director), W. G. Jenks (Joint Managing Director), H. S. Murray, and C. B. Townsend. Secretary: H. J. Rogers. Registered Office: West Orchard Works, Coventry. —The New Centaur Cycle Co, Limited, was registered February 27,1897, to take over the business of the Centaur Cycle Co, Limited, and in January, 1906, the original title was reverted to.
  • Central Cyclone Co, Limited.—Office: 343 and 345, Cable Street, E.—The whole of the properties have been transferred to the debenture holders.
  • Cerebos, Limited.—Directors : A. Nicholls, W. H. Parkinson, J. R. Stewart, B. Tillier (Levallois-Perret, France), and G. Weddell (Managing Director). Seci’etary: J. W. McRobert. Office: Cerebos Works, Greatham, via Stockton-on-Tees. — The company was registered November 28, 1903, to amalgamate the rights for all countries in Cerebos salt and various other specialities, and to acquire salt wells and works, &c.
  • Ceylon Cafe Co, Limited.—Directors: J. Abrahams, H. Bloom, S. Gluckstein, I. Joseph, and M. Salmon. Secretary : C. A. Johnson. Office: 44, Hanover Street, Liverpool.—The company was registered August 11, 1902.
  • Ceylon Company of Pearl Fishers, Limited.—Directors: Rt. Hon. Sir J. W. Ridgeway, P.C., G.C.M.G., G.C.B., K.C.S.I. (Chairman), C. Derenburg, C. Pakeman, W. H. Phillips, A. G. Salamon, and J. H. M. Shaw. Secretary: T. D. Pillans Office: 11, Cornhill, E.C.— The company was registered March 3, 1906, to obtain a lease of certain pearl fisheries for twenty years, from January 1, 1906, from the government of Ceylon, at a fixed rate of Rs. 310,000 per annum.
  • Chadburn's (Ship) Telegraph Co, Limited.—Directors: W. Chadburn (Chairman and Managing Director), T. Bassnett, R. R. Bevis, H. Muir, and T. R. Pennington. Secretary: C. S. Peterson. Office: Cyprus Road, Bootle.—The company was registered March 19, 1898, to take over the businesses of Chadburn and Son, Limited, and Thomas Basnett, Limited, with certain patents.
  • Chalmers, Guthrie and Co, Limited.—Directors: P. R. Chalmers, C. Gasquet, C. S. S. Guthrie D. C. Guthrie, R. S. Taylor, and M. Ulcoq. Secretary: W. P. Bates, Office: 9, Idol Lane, E.C.—The company was registered August 3, 1899, to acquire the business of the firm of the same name, merchants, &c.
  • Chamberlain and Hookham, Limited,—A. Chamberlain, J. Chamberlain, and G. Hookham. Office: Solar Works, Birmingham.—The company was registered December 15, 1898, to acquire the business of manufacturers of electricity meters, dynamos, &c., of a company of the same name.
  • Chamberlain, King and Jones, Limited.—Directors : Sir J. Smith (Chairman), J. King, E. S. Lang (Joint Managing Director), W. Lilico (Joint Managing Director), and W. J. Taylor. Secretary: F. C. Greaves. Office: 27, Union Street, Birmingham.—The company was registered May 28, 1897, to take over the business of house furnishers, &c., of the firm of the same name, and another business has since been acquired.
  • Chamberlins, Limited.—Directors: A. R. Chamberlin (Chairman), G. M. Chamberlin, and F. Durrant. Secretary: J. E. Restieaux. Office: 3, Market Place, Norwich.—The company was registered April 23, 1903, to acquire the business of wholesale and retail drapers, &c., of Messrs. Chamberlin, Sons and Co.
  • Champagne Freres, Limited.—Directors: Sir R. A. Hampson (Chairman), H. Richards, G. Schack-Sommer, J. Champagne, and E. Champagne, Jun., the last two being Managing Directors. Secretary: J. S. Dare. Office: 3, Princes Street, E.C.—The company was registered October 23, 1897, to take over the business of Messrs. E. and L. Champagne Freres, fruit importers, &c., of Paris an<l elsewhere.
  • Champdany Jute Co, Limited.—Directors.- Sir A. K. Muir, Bart. (Chairman), D. M. Hannay, G. Lammie, J. F. Muir, W. H. Phillips, and W. Walker. Secretaries : James Finlay and Co. Office: 22, West Nile Street, Glasgow. — The company was registered May 19, 1873, and owns mills in Calcutta.
  • Champion Weldless Tubes, Limited.—Directors : J. Brookes (Chairman), T. H. Bill, H. J. Brookes, and A. R. Lancaster. Secretary : W. F. Trow. Office: 71, Temple Row, Birmingham.—The company was registered April 7, 1897, and acquired certain works.
  • Chance and Hunt, Limited.—Directors: A. M. Chance (Chairman), W. Hunt (Deputy- Chairman), A. L. Chance, A. M. Chance, Jun. (Joint Managing Director), H. F. Chance, E. J. Hunt (Joint Managing Director), and R. G. Perry. Secretary: G. A. Cottrell. Office: Chemical and Cement Works, Oldbury.
  • Chancery Lane Safe Deposit and Offices Co, Limited —Directors: Sir W. H. Marling, Bart. (Chairman), R. C. Ponsonby (Vice-Chairman), E. Broderip, W. J. Cousins E. P. Little, W. B. Marling, and H. H. Mills. Manager and Secretary: E. Vincent-Evans. Office: 63-4, Chancery Lane, W.C.—The company was registered May 11,1894.
  • Chaplin, Milne, Grenfell and Co, Limited.—Directors: Ernest Chaplin, G. Grinnell-Milne, and R. W. Skipwith (Managing Directors), A. M. Grenfell, and Eric Chaplin, Secretary: T. Merrylees. Office: 6, Princes Street, E.C.—The company was registered December 21, 1899, to take over the business of merchants of Messrs. Morton, Chaplin and Co. (formerly Morton, Rose and Co.).
  • Charles Baker and Co, Limited.—Directors: J. Director), E. Upton (Deputy Chairman), C. P. Baker, G. E. Baker, E. W. Morrish, and W. A. Toll. Secretary: R. H. Wood. Office: 271-4, High Holborn, W.C.—The company was registered July 20, 1889, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, proprietors of clothing and outfitting stores.
  • Charles Butters and Co, Limited. Directors.- C. Butters (Chairman and Managing Director), R. van Gember, T. Matesdorf, T. J. Milner, J. H. M. Shaw, and O. E. Warburg, Secretary: J. N. C. Humphreys. Office: 54, New Broad Street, E.C. —The company was registered November 14, 1899, to acquire a metallurgical business.
  • Charles Clifford and Son, Limited.—Directors: S. Sanders (Chairman), C. H. Barwell, and T,.G. Locker (Manager). Secretary: A. H. Wolseley. Office: Fazeley Street Mills, Birmingham.—The company was registered April 28, 1887, to take over the business of manufacturers of copper and brass sheets, tubes, &c., of the firm of the same name.
  • Charles Marsden and Sons, Limited.—Directors: H. Anderson, J. Dobson, F. Moseley, and W. H. Smeed. Secretary: J. T. Crookes. Office: 32, Holly Street, Sheffield.—The company was registered July 22, 1903, to acquire the business of paper manufacturers of a firm of the same name.
  • Charles Phillimore and Co,, Limited.—Directors: H. M. Hogan (Chairman), J. Douglas, C.I.E. (Deputy-Chairman), W. O. Kennett, A. W. Prince, Col. J. Robertson, C.I.E., C. H. Tripp, and Sir J. L. Walker, C.I E. Secretary: W. Brown. Office: 136-48, Tooley Street, S. E.—The company was registered July 27, 1899, to take over the business of army agents, contractors, and East India merchants of a private company of the same name.
  • Charles Roberts and Co, Limited.—Directors: J. O. Greaves (Chairman), J. W. Craven, P. C. Greaves, and A. Horsfield. General Manager: L. Gray. Secretary: A. J. Larrad. Office: Horbury Junction, near Wakefield.—The company was registered April 13, 1899, to acquire the business of manufacturers of wagons, &c., of a company of the same name, registered October 4, 1873.
  • Charles S. Windover and Co, Limited. — Directors : E. L. Windover and A. V. Windover. Secretary: F. J. T. Pearce. Office: 56, Gresham Street, E.C.—The company was registered June 5, 1885, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, coach-builders, &c., and in 1893 Mr. J. C. Windover’s business at Manchester and Bradford was acquired.
  • Charles Webster (1899), Limited.—Directors : C. F. Webster (Chairman and Managing Director), J. Kerry (Secretary), F. G. Webster, and J. West. Office: 6, Whitechapel Road, E,—The company was registered May 30, 1899, to take over the business of a company of almost similar title, horse, cartage, and government contractors, and job masters.
  • Charrier and Marbut Carvings, Limited. — Directors: A. McNab (Chairman), E. P. Bainbridge, and A. M. Marks. Secretary: H. G. Tunstall. Office- 8A, City Road, E.C. — The company was registered June 27, 1899, as the British Charrier Wood-Carving Co, Limited, to acquire from the Charrier Wood-Carving Co, Limited (since wound up), the rights for the United Kingdom to the use of its patent wood-carving machines, and in July, 1900, took over all rights to the foreign patents of the same company, including equipped factories in France. In 1903 another business was acquired, and the name was changed as above.
  • Charron, Limited.—Directors: D. Dalziel (Chairman), Baron M. Baeyens, Due F. de Brissac, Admiral Sir C. Fane, K.C.B., Baron H. Foy, E. Giraud, G. Mauboussin, Marq. de Mun, Due M. de Noailles, Sir C. Phipps, K.C.M.G., C.B., B. Voigt (Paris), and Baron E. de Waldner (Paris). Secretary : R. Gordon. Office: 32, Old Jewry, E.C.—The company was registered November 29, 1906, to acquire the motor car manufacturing business carried on in Paris under the title of Automobiles Societe Anonyme Charron Girardot et Voigt.
  • Chatma Oilfield Co, Limited. — Directors: H. S. Saunders (Chairman), Dr. W. H. Bourke, K. Mathias, and J. Mitzakis (Managing Director). Office: Trafalgar Buildings, 1, Charing Cross, W.C.—The company was registered November 21, 1902, to acquire properties at Chatma, Tiflis, Russia.
  • Chatwood's Patent Safe and Lock Co, Limited.— Directors.- S. Chatwood (Chairman and Managing Director), S. K. Chatwood, W. C. Craig, J. Hall, and J. H. Sams. Secretary: W. Slade. Office: Bolton.—The company was registered in 1864.
  • Checkogram, Limited.—Directors: W. B. Purefoy (Chairman), A. Collins, H. F, Darell, W. M. Leon, and W, Slark. Secretary: E. Dawe. Office: Southampton Street, Strand, W.C.—The company was registered December 6, 1904, to acquire certain patent rights for mechanical and electrical registering indicators, turnstiles, Ac.
  • Chemicals Proprietary, Limited.—Directors.- G. W. Ireland, P. Suarey, H. S. Sudgen, and H. C. Woltereck. Secretary: G. B. Marrion. Office: 171, Queen Victoria Street, E.C. —The company was registered July 27, 1904, to carry on the business of chemical manufacturers.
  • Chesterfield Tube Co, Limited.—Directors: H. A. Earle (Chairman), W, H. Bennett, W. H. Dampier, A. W. Byron, W. Murray, A. F. Nicol, A. E. Seaton, and F. A. Szarvasy. Secretary: E, G. Crake. Office: 3, Throgmorton Avenue, E.C.— The company was registered December 4,1906, to acquire the patent rights for the United Kingdom, India, Egypt, and all British Colonies and possessions, except Canada, for the manufacture of weldless steel and other hard metal tubes, by the McTear process. The company also absorbed the Universal Tube Co, Limited, with its rights in the Ehrhardt processes for manufacturing solid-drawn tubes, &c., in the United Kingdom.
  • Chibnall's Bakeries, Limited.—Directors: J. W. Carpenter (Chairman), G. W. Chibnall (Managing Director), J. N. Hare, and C. Whelpton. Secretary: H. H. Greig. Office: Cedar House, Chiswick Mall, W.—The company was registered May 5, 1899, to take over the business of wholesale and retail bread manufacturer of Mr. J. R. Chibnall.
  • Chicago and North-West Granaries Co, Limited.—: Sir H. Seton-Karr, C.M.G, (Chairman), W. A. Bevan, G. P. Ernest, and G. T. Moody. Secretary : W. G. Bevis. Office : 2, Tokenhouse Buildings, E.C.—The company was registered October 18, 1889, to acquire the proprietary rights of two United States companies, the elevators being situated at Rochester, Minneapolis, and other places in the north-west portions of the United States.
  • Chicago Junction Railways and Union Stock Yards Co.—London Agent: H. L. Truman. London Office : 5, Bishopsgate Street Without, E.C. Head Office: Jersey, U.S.A.—The company was incorporated in 1890, under the laws of the state of New Jersey, U.S.A., mainly for the purpose of acquiring the capital stock of the Union Stock Yard and Transit Company, that company being the owners of the Union Stock Yard Company of Chicago, and various railways in connection.
  • Chilian Electric Tramway and Light Co, Limited. —Directors: Sir J. Wernher Bart. (Chairman), L. Breitmeyer, H. de Backer, Col. Sir C. Euan-Smith, K.C.B., O.S.I., Sir G. Fitzgerald, K.C.M.G., E. Heinemann, J. H. Muller, E. Prieger, and G. Zwilgmeyer. Secretary: S. W. Jameson. Office: 1, London Wall Buildings, E.C.—The company was registered May 3, 1898. The company owns a tramway concession from the municipality of Santiago, running now for fifty-five years from January, 1898. The lines may be taken over by the municipality at the end of the concession “at a just valuation.” The undertaking was formerly worked by horse power, but this has been superseded by electric traction ; the company also owns a perpetual water concession in the neighbourhood of Santiago, and a concession for the lighting of the town by electricity for a period of thirty years.
  • Chilian Exploration and Development Syndicate, Limited.—Directors: A. Berry, (Chairman), J. Berry, and Dr. E. F. Gabell. Secretary: L. M. Jeff. Office: 388-90, Mansion House Chambers, E.C.—The company was registered November 25, 1903, to carry on exploration and development operations in Chili, and on January 11, 1907, acquired a rubber and coffee plantation and a cattle ranch, of 20,000 acres near Vera Cruz, in Mexico. The authorised capital is £100,000 in shares of 28. 6d., of which £80,000 has been allotted and called up, including £25,000 issued for cash. The accounts are made up to November 30. Large portions of the estate have been planted with rubber and coffee trees. No report has yet been received, but this information is official. Voting power, one vote for every share. Director’s qualification, 800 shares. Transfer form, common; fee, 2s. 6d. Telegraphic address, Chilianex, London. Telephone number, 10716 Central. Latest price, 3s.
  • Chilian Mills Co, Limited.— Directors : S. Dronsfield (Chairman), G. R. Allardice, H. H. Holden, H. B. Lamond, Sir R. Mottram, and F. V. Parker. Secretary: E. M. Pool. Office: 104, King Street, Manchester.—The company was registered March 10, 1900, the Chilian Concession Syndicate, Limited, and the name was changed as above in December, 1900. The authorised capital is £150,000 in ordinary shares of £1, of which £51,015 has been subscribed and paid up. There are also 6. per cent, first mortgage debenture stock for £15,000; and loans of £5,000. The accounts are made up annually to September 30, and submitted about March. Work commenced at the mills in June, 1902, and in the year 1902-3 there was a loss of £3,438, the debit being increased in 1903-4 to £4,463, in 1904-5, £7,076, and in 1905-6 reduced to £5,428. Voting power, one vote for every share. Director’s qualification, 500 shares. Transfer form, common; fee, 28. 6d.
  • Chilian National Ammunition Co, Limited.—Directors: E. M. Ashcroft (Chairman), D. T. Brown, and A. F. Knox. Secretary: W. J. Glass. Offiice: Cook Street, Liverpool.—The company was registered December 15, 1896, to take over a powder and ammunition factory at San Bernardo in Chili.
  • Chinese Engineering and Mining Co, Limited. — Directors: Col. A. Thys (Chairman), C. Balser, E. Davis, Chev. B. De Wouters, B. Francqui, H. C. Hoover, G. De Laveleye, G. T. Symons, L. Trouet (Managing Director), W. F. Turner, and G. P. Walford, Secretary: A. W. Berry. Office: 22, Austin Friars, E.C. — The company was registered December 21, 1900, to acquire the undertaking of a Chinese company, established in 1878, the principal assets consisting of three collieries on the Kaiping coalfield, near the Gulf of Pechili; a line of six steamers; wharves, land, and offices in various Chinese ports; and the Harbour of Ching Wan Tao, on the Gulf of Pechili, at which extensive works have been practically completed.
  • Chivers and Sons, Limited.—Directors: 3. Chivers (Chairman) and S. Chivers. Secretary: A. Rhodes. Office : Histon, Cambs.—The company was registered March 14, 1901, to acquire the business of jam manufacturers of Messrs. S. Chivers and Sons.
  • Chloride Electrical Storage Co, Limited.—Directors: W. Bannister (Chairman), E. Hopkinson (Vice-Chairman), Sir B. Cunard, Bart., H. Lloyd (Philadelphia), K. E. Lloyd, J. de B. Smith, and J. R. Williams (Philadelphia). General Manager: W. S. Naylor. Secretary: D. P. Dunne. Office: Clifton Junction, near Manchester.—The company was registered December 12, 1891, as the Chloride Electrical Storage Syndicate, Limited, and in June, 1902, the name was changed as above.
  • Christr. Thomas and Brothers, Limited.—Directors: W. M. Roscoe (Chairman), H. R. Thomas (Vice-Chairman), and W. M. Edwards. Secretary: J. Woodington. Office: Broad Plain Soap and Candle Works, Bristol.—The company was registered July 21, 1897, to take over the business of a company of the same name, registered May 29, 1889, manufacturers of soaps, &c.
  • Christy and Co, Limited.—Directors: C. W. Christie-Miller, S. R. Christie-Miller, H. A. Christy, J. F. Christy, F. J. Farmer, F. Green, J. E. Green, Col. G. J. Scott, and A. J. Spiers (Secretary). Office: 35, Gracechurch Street, E.C.—The company was registered July 1, 1887, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, hat manufacturers.
  • Chubb and Son's Lock and Safe Co, Limited. —Managing Directors: Sir G. H. Chubb, Bart. (Chairman), C. A. Chubb, H. E. Chubb, and J. E. Chubb. Director's: G. H. Chubb, A. McArthur, and Sir G. W. Truscott. Secretary: H. G. Chalk. Office: 128, Queen Victoria Street, E.C.—The company was registered December 14, 1882, to acquire the business of Messrs. Chubb and Son.
  • Church Schools Co, Limited. — Council: W. W. Thompson (Chairman), Rev. D. Anderson, Miss Cropper, Ven. Archd. Daniell, Miss Emery, G. A. R. Fitzgerald, Rev. T. G. Gardiner, Mrs. Griffith, Mrs. C. Hook, Rev. W. T. Houldsworth, Miss Latham, Dean of Peterborough, Sir C. E. G. Philipps, Bart., J. T. Taylor, and Rev. Dr. Walpole. Chief Secretary and Inspector: Rev. G. E. Mackie. Assistant Secretary: F. AV. Pittman. Office: Church House, Dean’s Yard, Westminster.—The company was registered July 12, 1883.
  • City of London Contract Corporation, Limited.—Directors: H. O. O’Hagan (Chairman), L. Bishop (Deputy-Chairman), Sir W. Magnay, Bart., and Maj.-Genl. Sir J. Philips, K.C.B. Secretary: F. W. Hull. Office: 34, Old Broad Street, E.C,—The company was registered in June, 1882, and took over the business of Messrs. Chiles Philips and Co., as contractors for public works.
  • City of Santos Improvements Co, Limited.—Directors: D. M. Fox (Chairman), F. Henderson, H. K. Heyland (Managing), and H. U. Wollaston. Secretary: J. E. Rimmer. Office: 174, Gresham House, E.C.—The company was registered September 6, 1880, to acquire a concession for fifty years from February, 1870, for supplying the city of Santos with gas and water, establishing and working tramways, &c. In 1897 a fresh contract was entered into with the state of San Paulo, with a view of enabling the company to raise fresh capital and carry out additional works. Under the 1897 agreement the company has an exclusive water concession for a period expiring in 1930; the supply of all dwellings is made compulsory ; and the water rates charged to private dwellings and industrial undertakings are fixed on a gold basis, while the government has undertaken to pay quarterly a subsidy in currency for public service of fountains, &c.,
  • City Safe Deposit and Agency Co, Limited.—Directors: W. H. Adams, F. M. Crisp, A. Morris, and W. T. Western. Secretary: A. C. B. Douglas. 0ffice: 13, Throgmorton Avenue, F.C.—The company was registered October 4, 1893.
  • Civil Service Co-operative Society, Limited.—Directors: J. M. Goldie (Chairman), W. F. Beauford, E. G. Burls, C.S.I., T. J Hanley, A. C. Lyster, Sir J. Purcell, K.C.B., and A. N. Wollaston, C.I.E. Secretary: J. D. Cribb. Office: 28, Haymarket, S.W. —The society was established in 1866, and the capital is £100,000 in fully-paid shares of £5. In 1892 the company was reconstructed (re-registration taking place June 11, 1892) in order to remove certain restrictions from the memorandum of association, including the limitation of the dividends to 5 per cent.
  • Civil Service Supply Association, Limited.—Committee of Management: R. Bannister (Chairman), F. B. Armstrong, J. Barber, H. Clarke, J. Fleming, I.S.O., C. Futcher, F. MacGauran, J. W. Malyon, A. H. Powell, W. C. Samuel, G. G. Tunks, H. B. H. Tytheridge, E. H. J. Walliker, W. R, Wilson, and E. Winter, I.S.O. Secretary: J. E. Bignall. Office: 136, Queen Victoria Street, E.C.
  • Claridge's Patent Asphalte Co, Limited.—Directors: F. T. Cutbill, W. J. Cutbill, and M. Pinto d’Aranjo (Paris). Office: 21, Surrey Street, Victoria Embankment, W.C.—The company was registered June 3, 1872. The authorised capital is £45,145 in shares of £5; and to May 27, 1907, all had been subscribed, and £36,116, or £4 per share, paid up. No information is obtainable from the company.
  • Clarke, Nickolls and Coombs, Limited.—Directors: G. Mathieson (Chairman and Joint Managing Director), R. Coombs, A. Horn (Joint Managing Director), G. M. Horn, J. G Mathieson, and G. W. Morrison. Secretary: W. Davidson. Office: Wallis Road, Hackney Wick, N.E.—The company was registered January 19, 1887, to acquire the business of the firm of the same name, wholesale and export confectioners.
  • Claud Hamilton, Limited.—Directors: A. J. Fergusson (Chairman), C. Hamilton (Managing Director), and H. Prosser. Secretary: F. H. Bisset. Office: 247, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow.—The company was registered October 13, 1898, to take over the business of electrical engineers of a private company of the same name, registered in 1887.
  • Claudius Ash, Sons and Co. (1905), Limited.—Directors: G. Edwards (Chairman), W. H. Ash, H. C. Ash, C. J. Ash, A. E. Ash, P. C. M. Ash, J. T. Ash, J. Seed, and J. J. R. Potter, the last four being Managing Directors. Secretary: C. Dod. Office: 5 to 12, Broad Street, Golden Square, W. Transfer Office: 66, Coleman Street, E.C.—The company was registered June 17, 1905, to acquire the businesses of merchants and manufacturers of dental materials, &c., of Claudius Ash and Sons, Limited, and of manufacturers of mineral teeth, &c., of Messrs. Ash and Co.
  • Clayton and Shuttleworth, Limited.—Directors: F. S. E. Drury (Chairman), G. S. Blakey, of Vienna (Joint Managing Director), Col. E. S. Mason, H. F. L. Orcutt (Joint Managing Director), F. Shuttleworth, and S. Sparkes, Secretary: J. Harris, Office Stamp End Works, Lincoln.—The company was registered January 18, 1901, to acquire the business of general engineers of a firm of the same name.
  • Clayton Aniline Co, Limited.—Directors: M. Baerlein (Chairman), Sir W. H. Bailey, C. Dreyfus (Managing Director), F. R. Hesse, and W. S. Kinch. Secretary: J. Allpass. Office: Chatham Street, Clayton, Manchester.—The company was registered March 31, 1897, to take over and extend the business of a company of the same name, registered May 29, 1876.
  • Clayton, Murgatroyd and Co, Limited.—Directors: J. H. Murgatroyd (Chairman), H. Hollas, P. W. Metcalfe, and A. Pollard. Secretary: H. R. Jackson. Office: Wellington Mills, Halifax.—The company was registered September 25, 1899, to take over the business of silk spinners of a private company of the same name.
  • Cleghorn and Harris, Limited,—Directors: J. Cleghorn (Chairman), H. Affleck, C. R. Black, S. A. Harvey, and G. L. Windsor, all except the Chairman and Mr. Black being resident in Cape Town. London Secretary : W. R. Cleghorn. London Office: 88, Old Street, E.C. Head Office: Cape Town.—The company was registered in December, 1903, under the laws of Cape Colony, to acquire the business of wholesale and retail drapers, &c., carried on in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, and Johannesburg, of the firm of the same name.
  • Clement Talbot, Limited.—Directors: A. Clement (Paris), Viscount Ingestre, E. Lamberjack (Paris), A. R. Lucas (Paris), and Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. Secretary: R. B. Cole. Office: Barlby Road, Edinburgh Road, Ladbroke Grove, W.—The company was registered October 11, 1902, to carry on the manufacture of motor-cars, &c. The authorised capital is £60,000 in shares of £1, of which £50,007 has been subscribed and called up. There are also 4^ per cent, debentures for £35,000, with interest payable June 30 and December 31, and the principal repayable June 30, 1915. The accounts are made up annually to October 31, and submitted in November. Debenture interest is paid to date. No report has been received, but this information has been officially supplied. Voting power, one vote for every share. Director’s qualification, 1,000 shares. Transfer form, common ; fee, 2s. fid. Telegraphic address, Cleratal, London. Telephone numbers, fi95 and 696 Paddington.
  • Cleveland and Durham County Electric Power Co.—Directors: C. Emmott (Chairman), M. L. Bell, J. Falconer, Hon. R. James, and A. Scholefield. Manayer: A. B. Gridley. Secretary: A. Gemmell. Office: Hintons’ Buildings, Middlesbrough.—The company was incorporated in 1901, and a further Act was obtained in 1903.
  • Cleveland and Durham Electric Power, Limited.—Directors: C. Emmott (Chairman), J. H. Armstrong, M. L. Bell, J. Falconer, Hon. R. James, and A. Scholefield. Secretary: C. Skipsey. office: Hintons’ Buildings, Middlesbrough.—The company was registered July 18, 1906, with a view to developing the supply of electric power in Cleveland and the County of Durham, and in certain districts in Northumberland.
  • Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co, Limited.—Directors: H. I. Dixon (Chairman), F. W. Davis, C. F. Dixon (Managing Director), and W. E. Pease. Secretary: J. E. Reed. Office: Bank Top, Darlington.—The company was registered July 27, 1893.
  • Cleveland Flour Mills, Limited.—Directors: E. E. Meek (Chairman), J. Fearnside, J. Harrison, A. Leetham, H. E. Leetham, R. E. Leetham, S. Leetham, and T. Scott. General Manager: A. H. Hobley. Secretary: J. W, Berry. Office: Cleveland Mills, Thornaby-on-Tees.—The company was registered December 5,1898.
  • Cleveland Salt Co, Directors: Col. J. G. S. Davies (Chairman), W. S. B. McLaren, and W. W. Storr. Secretary: F. Pallister. Office: Middlesbrough.— The company was registered October 11, 1887.
  • Cliffe Hill Granite Co, Limited.—Directors; Sir J. B. Stone, M.P. (Chairman), J. R. Fitzraaurice (Managing Director), and J. Roberts. Secretary and Manager: P. Preston. Office: Cliffe Hill, Markfield, Leicestershire.—The company was registered November 1, 1894.
  • Clifton Grand Spa and Hydro, Limited.—Directors: L. A. Atlierley-Jones, K.C., M.P., P. Fussell, and A. A. Yeatman. Office: The Spa, Clifton.—The company was registered January 9, 1896.
  • Clifton Suspension Bridge Co.—Directors: E. J. Swann (Chairman), J. H. Clarke, H. G. Doggett, C. B. Hare, J. G. R. Harvey, and H, C. L. Matthews. Secretary: J. G. Dennehy. Office: Albion Chambers, Small Street, Bristol.—The company was incorporated in 1861.
  • Clippens Oil Co, Limited.—Directors: W. S. Brown, T, B. Clark, J. A. Hood, R. A. Murray, and A. C. Scott. Manager: A. G. Robertson. Secretary: G. Kirk. Office: Pentland Works, Loanhead, Midlothian.—The company was registered June 28, 1893, to take over the properties of a company of the same name (registered February 9, 1878).
  • Clipper Tyre Co, Limited.—Directors: L. M. Bergin (Chairman), F. C. Baisley, Alfred duCros, Arthur du Cros (Managing Director), and J. V. Worthington. Secretary: W. E. Stafford. Office: 14, Regent Street, S.W.—The company was registered March 15,1904, in reconstruction of the Clipper Pneumatic Tyre Co, Limited, registered March 8, 1897,
  • Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co.—Directors; A. B. Law, M.P. (Chairman), Sir D. Richmond (Vice-Chairman), N. Carlton, Col. C. M. King, J. H. Lukach, and J. Mackenzie. Manager: D. A. Starr. Secretary R. Robertson. Office: 53, Bothwell Street, Glasgow.—The company was incorporated August 9, 1901, to erect generating stations, and to supply electrical power within parts of the counties of Lanark, Renfrew, Dumbarton, and Stirling, and for other purposes, while the Clydebank Electric Lighting Order, 1901, was acquired under Act of 1904.
  • Coalite, Limited.—Directors: C. Allen, J. Conchie, F. R. Felly, and J. H. Smith. Secretary: E. Ronaldson. Office: 3, London Wall Buildings, E.C.—The company was registered July 20, 1906, to acquire inventions and letters patent relating to fuel.
  • Coast Development Corporation, Limited,—Directors: G. B. Paul (Chairman), T. S. Cave, P. A. Denny, G. W. Mitchell, C. F. Pritchard, G. Riley, and H. R. Spence (Managing Director). Secretary: J. F. Stovell. Office: Belle House, Fish Street Hill, E.C. —The company was registered January 7, 1898, to take over the undertakings of several companies connected with Clacton-on-Sea (including the Clacton-on-Sea and General Land, Building, and Investment Co, Limited, and the Belle Steamers, Limited), and to develop other seaside towns; it has acquired and has completed a pier and hotel at Walton-on-the-Naze, with other works there, built a hotel and constructed a pier at Southwold, and owns piers at Clacton-on-Sea, Lowestoft, and Felixstowe. The company has also erected generating stations, and supplies electric light at Walton and Southwold. Large building estates at Felixstowe and Southwold have also been acquired.
  • Coffee and Dining Rooms Co, Limited.—Directors: E. T. Wilks (Chairman), Col. H. W. K. Crowle, G. D. Edwards, E. Golmick, and W. Taylor. Secretary: P. G. Schweder. Office: 39c, King William Street, E.C.—The company was registered November 6, 1890.
  • Colbeck Brothers, Limited.—Directors: B. C. L. Colbeck (Chairman), I. Colbeck, H. H. Dyson, E. S. Roberts, and J. Taylor. Secretary: G. A. Conyers. Office : Alverthorpe Mills, near Wakefield.—The company was registered November 22, 1889, to take over the business of woollen and worsted manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
  • Cold Storage Trust, Limited.—Directors: D. P. de V. Graaff, J. A. Graaff, Hon. J. A. C. Graaff, Hon. Sir J. Sivewright, K.C.M.G., and J. S. B. Todd, C.M.G., I.S.O., the last two forming the London Committee. Secretary: O. Field. Office: Broad Street Avenue, E.C.—The company was registered May 12, 1902,
  • Colebrook and Co, Limited.—Directors: W. M. Colebrook (Managing Director), W. P. Colebrook, F. B. Parfitt, T. Rowland, W. Strong, and W. W. Webb. Secretary: A. B. Wright. Office: 120, Broad Street, Reading.—The company was registered September 9, 1897, to take over the business of purveyors of the firm of the same name.
  • Coleman and Co, Limited.—Directors: G. J. Buxton, W. Coleman, J. W. Sewell, W, I. Simpson, and J. G. Snelling. Secretary: W. J. Brackenbury. Office: Wincarnis Works, Lower Westwick Street, Norwich.—The company was registered November .., 1887, to acquire a business of manufacturers of extract of meat and malt wine.
  • Colina Estancia Co, Limited.—Directors: C. B. Krabbe, C. F. Krabbe, Mrs. A. M. Krabbe, and Mrs. H. M. Moore. Secretary: AV. L. Milligan. Office: River Plate House, E.C.—The company was registered October 13, 1906, to acquire an estancia situated in the Province of Buenos Ayres; containing an area of about 32,518 hectares.
  • Coliseum Syndicate, Limited.—Directors: O. Stoll (Chairman and Managing Director), W. Battle, P. AV. Carey, H. J. Thomas, and F. W. Wyndham. Secretary: W. J. Roach. Office: 29A, Charing Cross Road, W.C.—The company was registered October 11, 1907, to acquire the London Coliseum and other properties, and to carry on the London Coliseum as a place of entertainment.
  • Colombian Transport, Trading and Development Co, Limited. — Directors : F. D. Bentley, A. Blackmore, C. N. Radcliffe, and C. J. Ritchie. ^Secretory: G. F. Denys Office: Portland House, 73, Basinghall Street, E.C.—The company was registered June 7^ 1905.
  • Colombo Commercial Co, Limited.—Directors: A. Brown (Chairman), P. C. Oswald, J. A. Roberts, and J. G. Wardrop. Secretary : J. A. Roberts. Offices: 6, Dowgate Hill, E.C.—The company was registered January 14, 1876, and was re-registered February 8, 1896, the capital then undergoing no change. The company carries on an engineering and general mercantile business in Ceylon.
  • Colombo Electric Tramways and Lighting Co, Limited.—Directors: Henry Brooks (Chairman), H. Ansell, J. M. Boustead, R. Brooks, Herbert Brooks, and H. Tabor Brooks. Secretary: P. Pears. Office: 11, St. Benet Place, E.C.—The company was registered February 21, 1902, to acquire the electric tramways and lighting business at Colombo previously carried on by the United Planters' Company of Ceylon, Limited. The tramways are seven miles in length, and were constructed under a concession from the Municipal Council of Colombo, the concession providing that at the expiration of twenty-seven years, and at the end of every seven years thereafter, the council is to have the option to purchase the tramways and everything connected therewith at their value as a going concern, with an allowance for goodwill and a premium for compulsory sale, the price, in the event of difference, to be fixed by arbitration.
  • Colonial Consignment and Distributing Co, Limited.— Directors: Sir B. M. Nelson, K.C.M.G. (Chairman and Managing Director), E. H. Byas, W. S. Davidson, E. T. Doxat, W. T. Holmes, F. Nelson, H. Nelson, Sir W. B. Perceval, K.C.M.G.,and M. C. Thomson. Secretary: P. B. Proctor. Office : 15, Dowgate Hill, E.C.—The company was registered July 18, 1895, to acquire the English branch of the business of Nelson Brothers, Limited, meat warehousemen and salesmen, to extend the present facilities for the sale in Great Britain and Ireland and elsewhere of colonial produce, and to take over freezing stores, &c., necessary for the business.
  • Colorado Nitrate Co, Limited.—Directors: Sir R. Harvey (Chairman), R. C. Lockett, W. J. Lockett, and H. Shield. Secretary: J. T. Holgate. Office: 12, King Street, Liverpool. — The company was registered June 13, 1885, to acquire nitrate grounds situated near Iquique, in the province of Tarapaca, South America, and in 1903 additional properties were acquired.
  • Commercial Company of Salonica, Limited.—DirectorsE. AUatini, of Salonica (Chairman), C. Allatini (Salonica), L. Allatini (London), I. Fernandez (Constantinople), A. Misrachi (Salonica), M. Morpurgo (Salonica) B. Salem (Salonica), and H. Schuschny (Vienna). Office : Capel House, 62, New Broad Street, E.C.—The company was registered March 14, 1895.
  • Commercial Enterprise, Limited.—Directors: H. Edwards (Chairman), W. W. Futcher, and J. S. Stewart-Wallace. Secretary: O. D. Comrie. Office: 2, Broad Street Place, E.C.,— The company was registered June 28, 1901, in reconstruction of the Chardonnet Silk Co, Limited, owning British letters patent granted to Count Hilaire de Chardonnet.
  • Commercial, Industrial, and Land Company of Egypt, Limited.—Directors; Sir R. C. Temple, Bart. (Chairman), G. Attwood, Col. A. M. Harington, and S. Lings. Secretary: A. Bunbury. Office: Broad Street House, E.C.—The company was registered April 12, 1906, to acquire and develop industrial and other undertakings in Egypt and the Soudan, including the securing of land concessions, and the contract for building and engineering work, and acquired options over four businesses of engineers, iron merchants, government contractors, and suppliers of electric-light to the town of Mansourah, together with a freehold building-site of about three acres in the island of Rodah.
  • Commonwealth Oil Corporation, Limited.— Directors: Sir G. Newnes, Bart., M.P. (Chairman), D. E. Alves, Sir W. B. Avery, Bart., W. Blyth, and R. L. Harmsworth, M.P. Secretary: C. F. Jones. Office: 26, Victoria Street, S.W.—The company was registered December 8, 1905, to acquire the lease of properties, about 40 square miles in extent, in New South Wales, about 100 miles from Sydney, and work same.
  • Commonwealth Portland Cement Co, Limited,—Directors: W. T. Dodds (Managing Director), F. Lay, and T. R. Ronald. Secretary: F. Lay. Office: 115, Ebury Street, S.W.—The company was registered December 4, 1900, to acquire certain freehold and leasehold properties at Ivanhoe, County of Roxburgh, New South Wales.
  • Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits. — Director in London: D. Dalziel. Agent-General for Great Britain: H. M. Snow. London Office: 20, Cockspur Street, S. W. Head Office : Brussels.—This company was established in 1876.
  • Companhia de Mossamedes.—London Office : 3, Laurence Pountney Hill, E.C. Head Office: Lisbon.—The company was formed in May, 1894, under Portuguese laws, and owns a concession for a property about 80,000 square miles in extent, situated in the province of Angola, South-West Africa.
  • Compania Molinera Anglo-Argentina, Limited.— Direct W. R. Henderson (Chairman), J. Ingleby, F. Merttens, and A. Williamson, M.P. Secretary: T. Rose. Office: 3, Fenwick Street, Liverpool.—The company was registered May 27,1898, to acquire a flour mill at Buenos Ayres.
  • Compania Sansinena de Carnes Congeladas.—General Manager in England: J. J. Ward. London Office: 13-16, Long Lane, West Smithfield, E.C. Head Office: Buenos Ayres.—The company was founded in 1891 under Argentine laws to carry on a frozen meat business.
  • Components, Limited.—Directors: F. Warwick (Chairman), H. Du Cros, Jun., F. Moore, and C. Sangster (Managing Director). Secretary: H. Witton. Office: Bournbrook, Birmingham.—The company was registered January 17, 1902, in reconstruction of the Cycle Components Manufacturing Co, Limited, registered January 1894.
  • Condal Water (1900), Limited.—Directors: H. S. Norris (Managing Director) and R. Poulain (Paris). Office: 6, Great Winchester Street, E.C.—The company was registered April 4, 1900, to acquire a concession of the monopoly and supply for the whole world of the medicinal water of the Condal springs, Rubinat, province of Lerida, Spain, with the benefit of certain contracts for the sale of the water in certain parts of the world.
  • Condensed Milk Company of Ireland, Limited,—Directors: W. M. Beauchamp, F. C. Cleeve, T. H. Cleeve, and E. M. Russell. Secretary: M. Dooley. Office: 131, George Street, Limerick.—The company was registered June 16, 1889.
  • Connal and Co, Limited.—Directors: W. Connal (Chairman), J. A. Macfarlane (Vice-Chairman), W. Chamberlain, K. H. M. Connal, and F. McQuistan (Secretary). Office: 34, West George Street, Glasgow.—The company was registered June 9, 1904, in reconstruction of a company, of similar title, registered August 29, 1896, to take over a business of wharfingers, merchants, &c.
  • Consolidated Signal Co, Limited. —Directors: W. Holland (Chairman), C. Hodgson (Deputy Chairman), W. Griffiths, D. E. Norton, J. P. O’Donnell, W. T. Page, George Terrell (Managing Director), W. Wingfield, J. F. Wolff, and S. P. Wood. Secretary: R. Payne. Office: 53, Victoria Street, S.W.—The company was registered August 16, 1901, as the Pneumatic Electric and General Engineering Co, Limited, to acquire the shares of various concerns engaged in the railway signalling trade, and in December, 1903, the name was changed as above.
  • Consolidated Supply Co, Limited.—Directors: A. K. Baylor, H. Brittain, and J. H. S. Thomson. Secretary: A. W. Bareham. Office: Northampton Park, Canonbury, N.—The company was registered September 14, 1905, to carry on the business of electrical engineers and manufacturers.
  • Cookson and Co, Limited.—Directors: N. C. Cookson (Chairman), C. Cookson, and K. Cookson. Secretaries: J. J. Warden and F. Reid. Office: Milburn House, Newcastle-on-Tyne.—The company was registered December 21, 1904, to acquire the business of lead, copper, and antimony smelters and refiners of a firm of the same name.
  • Coombe, Wood and Co, Limited.—Directors: J. Martin (Chairman), Col. A. Gardner, M.P., and T. Coombe (Local Director in Perth, Western Australia). Secretary: W. D. Goatly. Office: 110, Cannon Street, E.C. — The company was registered December 7, 1897, to take over the joinery works and moulding mills of Messrs. Coombe, Wood and Co., of Perth, and Messrs. James Coombe and Co., of Kalgoorlie, Western Australia,
  • Cooper, Box and Co, Limited.—Being wound up voluntarily. Liquidators: F. E. Bodkin and J. Mitchelhill, 7, Love Lane, Wood Street, E.C.
  • Cooper, Cooper and Co. (1901), Limited.— Directors: A. C. Bourner (Chairman), J. C. Goode (Managing Director), and W. W. Thornton. Secretary: F. W. Hunnybun. Office: 29, Mincing Lane, E.C.—The company, was registered November 2, 1901, to acquire as from June 30, 1901,, the wholesale tea business of Cooper, Cooper and Johnson, Limited, together with the agencies and retail grocery businesses carried on under the name of Cooper, Cooper and Co.
  • Cooper, Cooper and Johnson, Limited.—Directors: R. A. Gray (Chairman), K. Bremner, A. W. Dixon, E. H. Hancock (Managing Director), C. G. Inglis, and J. M. Maitland-Kirwan. Secretary: T. P. West. Office: 5-6, Great Winchester Street, E.C.—The company was registered July 7. 1898, to acquire certain estates in Ceylon, together with the businesses of tea merchants carried on by Cooper, Cooper and Co, Limited, and Messrs. Johnson, Dodds and Co., of London, Manchester, &c.- In the latter part of 1900 the company went into liquidation, and in 1901 Cooper, Cooper and Co. (1901), Limited, was registered to take over the wholesale tea business of Cooper, Cooper and Johnson, together with the agencies and retail grocery businesses carried on under the name of Cooper, Cooper and Co. In 1904 the liquidation proceedings in regard to Cooper, Cooper and Johnson, Limited, were stayed, and the company is now carrying on a plantation business in Ceylon.
  • Co-operative Wholesale Society, Limited.—General Commitiee: J. Shillito (President), T. Tweddell (Vice-President), T. Adams, F. A. Ciappessoni, P. Coley, A. Deans, H. Elsey, J, Fairclough, R. Gibson, J. F. Goodey, W. D. Graham, E. Grindrod, G. Hayhurst, W. Hemingway, T. Hind, R. Holt, J. E. Johns, T. Killon, W. Lander, D. Mclnnes, C. Marshall, T. E. Moorhouse, I. Mort, M. Parkes, H. C. Pingstone, T. Shotton, G. Thorpe, A. E. Threadgill, J. Warwick, H. J. A. Wilkins, G. Woodhouse, and H. J. Youngs. Manager': T. Goodwin. Secretary and Accountant: T. Brodrick. Office: Manchester.— The company was registered in 1863, and again in 1873 in connection with the banking business.
  • Cope and Timmins, Limited.—Directors: W. Allman (Managing Director), E. Cope, A. H. Griffiths, and W. Timmins. Secretary: A. H. Stokes. Office: Ickfield Square, Birmingham.—The company was registered March 4, 1899, to acquire the business of manufacturers of hot-water and other heating apparatus of the firm of the same name.
  • Cope Brothers and Co, Limited.—Directors: W. S. Taylor (Chairman), T. H, Cope, and W. Jollyman. Secretary: W. H. Powell. Office: 10, Lord Nelson Street, Liverpool.— The company was registered August 17, 1885, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, tobacco manufacturers, &c.
  • Cordes (Dos Works), Limited.—Directors: I. Butler (Chairman), L. Forestier-Walker, W. B. Partridge, J, Paton. F. W. Raikes, and E. Steer. Secretary: R. Tait. Office: Newport, Mon.—The company was registered August 25, 1903, and took over the business of J. J. Cordes and Co, Limited, manufacturers of nails, &c.
  • Cordoba Light and Power Co.—In June, 1903, La Capital Traction and Electric Company, Buenos Aires, Limited received subscriptions towards an issue of £100,000 first mortgage 5 per cent, bonds of £100 each, to bearer, of the Cordoba Light and Power Company, at the price of, £92 per bond, and the whole amount was allotted. The company was formed under laws of the State of Maine, U.S.A., for the purpose of manufacturing, producing, and distributing electricity for light, power, and other purposes, and acquired a concession for 25 years from November 6, 1896, from the Province of Cordoba, Argentine Republic, and the government has the right of acquiring the property at the termination of the concession “ on terms very favourable to the company.”
  • Corporation of Foreign Bondholders.—Council: Lord Avebury (President), Hon. Sir C. W. Fremantle, K.C.B. (Vice-President), Sir F. G. Banbury, Bart., M.P., C. E. Barnett, F. F. Begg, E. O. P. Bouverie, J. J. Cater, Adml. Field, C.B., Lord C. J. Hamilton, W. R. Malcolm, Sir R. B. Martin, Bart., J. W. Philipps, M.P., Sir A, K. RoUit, A. G. Sandeman, Sir T. W. Snagge, Kt., C. Surgey, J. H. Tritton, W. Trotter, Sir H. W. Tyler, Genl. Sir L. Vaughan, G.C.B., and Rt. Hou. Sir A. West, G.C.B. The Council consists of twenty-one members, seven of whom retire annually, their places being filled by the appointment—as to two by the Central Association of Baiikers of London, two by the London Chamber of Commerce, and three by the Council,
  • Corticlne Floor Covering Co, Limited.—Directors; R. Scott (Chairman), A. W. Browne, W. H. Game, J. Hind, and G. S, Oldfield. Secretary: J. E. Casey. Office: 152, Aldersgate Street, E.C.—The company was registered September 4, 1884.
  • Costa Rica Electric Light and Traction Co, Limited.—Directors .• W. F. Leese (Chairman), F. Davies, A. Morris, C. A. Vansittart, and F. Witting. Secretary: F. H. Firth. Office: Dashwood House, E.C.—The company was registered March 10, 1898, to supply electric light and electric traction in the central valley of Costa Rica, and to construct an electric tramway. The tramway is approximately six miles in length, and is open for traffic. The company has concessions from the municipality of San Jose both for lighting and tramways, expiring January 1, 1956, and while the tramways revert to the municipality at the end of the concession without payment, the lighting undertaking is to remain the property of the company in perpetuity.
  • Costa Rica Markets Co, Limited.—Directors: H. Hodgson, J. Liveaey, C. N. P. Phipps, M. Van Eaalte, and O. A. Vansittart. Secretary: A. J. Shepherd. Office: Dashwood House, E.C.—The company was registered September 9, 1886, as the Costa Rica Markets and Tramway Company; Limited, to acquire concessions for the construction and working of tramways in the city of Cartago (abandoned under agreement in October, 1898), and of markets in the cities of Cartago and Heredia, Costa Rica, and in August, 1902, the name was changed as above. The markets concessions are for fifty years from the date of completion, and there is no monetary guarantee.
  • Cotton Machinery Trust, Limited.—Directors: H. Webb (Chairman), S. H. Brooks, J. Brown, and F. G. Goodbehere. Secretary: J. B. Binns. Office: 15, Market Street, Manchester.—The company was registered November 17,1899, to conduct operations in connection with the purchase and sale of machinery for spinning and manufacturing textile fabrics.
  • Cotton Powder Co, Limited.—Directors: J. Todhunter (Chairman), Maj.-Genl. S. Nicholson, C.B., Adml. Sir H. F. Nicholson, K.C.B., B. E. Todhunter (Managing Director), and W. H. Topham. Secretary: R. Lynn-Smart. Office: 32, Queen Victoria Street, E.C.—This company was registered April 18, 1904, and is a third reconstruction of the Patent Cotton Gunpowder Co, Limited, registered May 15, 1872.
  • Cotton Seed Co, Limited.—Directors : E. Packard (Chairman), J. E. O'Conor, and F. M. Williams. Secretary: S. C. Robertson. Office : Cubitt Town Wharf, Poplar, E. —The company was registered November 21, 1900, in reconstruction of the Cotton Seed Oil Syndicate]], Limited, formed for the treatment of cotton seed.
  • Country Life, Limited.—Directors : Sir G. Newnes, Bart., M.P. (Chairman), E. Hudson (Managing Director), W. Hudson, and F. H. Newnes, M.P. Secretary: H. Cole. Office: 8-11, Southampton Street, Strand, W.C.—The company was registered March 9, 1905, to take over a newspaper property entitled Country Life, and certain other publications issued in conjunction therewith.
  • County of Durham Electrical Power Distribution Co, Limited.—Directors: Dr. J. T. Merz (Chairman), J. H. Armstrong, W. L. Madgen, R. P. Sloan, Rt. Hon. R. S. Watson, and Sir L. Wood, Bart. Secretary: A. Winlo. Office: Royal Exchange Buildings, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.—The company was registered April 19, 1899; it holds the entire capital (with the exception of two shares) of the County of Durham Electric Power Supply Company, incorporated by Act of Parliament, and is working in conjunction with the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co]], Limited. The various undertakings (other than that authorised by the County of Durham Electric Power Supply Company’s Act of 1900, which is held in perpetuity) are subject to the right of purchase at the end of 42 years from the grant of the Order, reserved to the local authority under Section 2 of the Electric Lighting Act, 1888, but special provisions for purchase have also been imposed in some cases, the first of which arises in 1910. It was not until April, 1905, that capital was offered publicly.
  • Coupe and Dunlop Brougham Co, Limited.—Directors: H. Du Cros (Chairman), A. Du Cros, H. T. Lyon, and C. Thomson (Managing Director). Secretary: W. Bailey. Office: 14, Regent Street, S.W.—The companj’ was registered April 29, 1896.
  • Crabbe Brake Co, Limited.—Directors: Sir L. H. Ormsby (Chairman), R. Burns, and C. T. B. Sangster (Managing Director). Secretary : H. Witton. Office: Great Western Chambers, Livery Street, Birmingham.—The company was registered July 27, 1903.
  • Craig and Rose, Limited.—Directors: A. A. Rose (Chairman), J. B. Adam, S. J. McCrae, J. McNeil, H. Rose, H. A. Rose, A. Stewart, and D. Stewart. Secretary : R. S. Gracie. Office: 172, Leith Walk, Edinburgh.—The company was registered October 27, 1900, to acquire the business of paint, colour, and varnish manufacturers, &c., of the firm of the same name.
  • Crane and Sous, Limited.— Director's : T. T. Crane (Chairman) and G. J. Crane (Managing Directors), and T. T. Crane, Jun. Secretary: J. C. Sneddon. Office: 217, Scotland Road, Liverpool.—The company was registered November 27, 1897, to take over the business of pianoforte, organ, and musical instrument merchants and manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
  • Cranston and Elliot, Limited.—Directors: SirR. Cranston, K.C.V.O. (Chairman), R. B. Cranston, H. J. Jack (Managing Director), H. Mayberry, H. R. Mein, and Sir H. E. Moss, Kt. Secretary: W. Thomson. Oj^ce: 37, Princes Street, Edinburgh.—The company was registered July 27, 1897, to take over the business of a firm of the same name, silk mercers, house furnishers, &c.
  • Cranston’s Tea Rooms, Limited,—Directors: S. Cranston (Chairman and Managing Director), J. C. B. Craddock, A. McKinlay, Sir D. Richmond, and J. Stevenson. Secretary: T. W. Macalpine. Oj^ce: 28, Buchanan Street, Glasgow.—The company was registered October 25, 1905, in reconstruction of a company of similar title, registered March 9, 18^.
  • Crawford Spinning Co, Limited.—Direct<n’s: W. T. Heap, W. Hill, J. S. Littlewood, H. Shawcross, and J. Taylor. Crawford Street Mill, Rochdale.— The company was registered January 31, 1882.
  • Crescens Robinson and Co, Limited.—Directors: T. Atley, G. Badham, W. E. Coleman, and P. R. Fender. Office: Atlas Paper Works, Newington Causeway, S.E.—The company was registered February 18, 1887, to acquire the business of the firm of this name, as wholesale and manufacturing stationers, &c.
  • Crest Ring Mill, Limited.—Directors: G. W. Bennett, G. IT. Gledhiil, J. Hepworth, H. Hitchen, W. Jackson, J. J. Smithers, and W. H. Waller. Secrctari/: J. Gledhiil. Offiice: Marsh Barn, Rochdale.—The company was registered April 4, 1906, to erect a cottonspinning mill, and to carry on the business of cotton spinners, manufacturers, doublers, dyers, &c.
  • Crewdson, Hardy and Co, Limited.—Directors: W. H. Hardy (Managing Director), J. Livingston, G. T. Livingston, and H. Ronnebeck. Sed'etat'y: F. W. Hardy. Office: Yorkshire Tube Works, Middlesbrough.—The company was registered July 16,1898, to take over the business of wrought-iron and steel tube manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
  • Crisp and Co, Limited.—Directors: A. H. Bull (Chairman and Managing Director), L. F. Goodricke, F. C. Nursey, and H. Pearson. Secretary: G. Courtney. Office .• Seven Sisters Road, Holloway, N.-^The company was registered August 19, 1905, to acquire the business of a company of the same name, in liquidation, as drapers, outfitters, house furnishers, &c.
  • Crocker, Sons and Co, Limited.—Directors: A. W. Crocker (Chairman), F, C. Chalmers, G. H. Hambling (Managing Director), W. E. Lansdell, and F. Rose. Secretary: A. E. Allen. Ofice: 54, Friday Street, E.C.—The company was registered July 24, llWl, to acquire the business of a company of similar title, registered February 25,1899, to take over the business of wholesale warehousemen of the firm of the same name.
  • Crompton and Co, Limited.—Directcn-s: J. Trotter (Chairman), Lt.-Col. R. E. B. Crompton, C.B. (Consulting Engineer), B. Gibson, L. H. Hanbury, and C. F. Tufnell. General Manager: H. Stevenson. Secretary: E. Reeves. Orifice: Salisbury House, E.C.—The company was registered July 30, 18^, to acquire the business of Messrs. R. E. Crompton and Co., electric light engineers, of Chelmsford and London. With a view of clearing off a debit to suspense account, writing down various investments, &c., it was decided early in 1898 to reduce the ordinary and preference shares by £2 per share, and to abolish all distinction between the two classes of shares. As a consideration for this concession of their rights of priority on the part of the preference shareholders, the vendors surrendered a further 2,000 of their ordinary shares for cancellation.
  • Crosse and Blackwell, Limited.—Director's: E. M. Crosse (Chairman), S. J. Black- well (Vice-Chairman), F. B. Bell, F. S. Blackwell, and T. G. Blackwell (the last three and the Chairman being Managing Directors). Secr'etary: S. Beamish. Office: Soho Square, W.—The company was registered June 24, 1892, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, preserved provision manufacturers, &c.
  • Crosses and Winkworth, Limited.—Directors: J. Cross (Chairman), J. C. Cross (Vice- Chairman), W. R. Moss (Managing Director), A. Crewdson, and E. T. Crook (Assistant Managing Director). Secretary: C. H. Cowley. Office : Bolton.—The company was registered April 3, 1875, to take over and carry on the businesses of cotton spinners of the firm of this name and of the Gilnow Spinning Co]], Limited.
  • Crossley Brothers, Limited.—Directors: W. J. Crossley, M.P. (Chairman and Joint Managing Director), D. H. Irwin (Deputy Chairman and Joint Managing Director), K. I. Crossley, W. P. J. Fawcus, W. Turner, and R. Wilson. Secretary: W. S. Huffam. O^ce: Openshaw, Manchester.—The company was registered April 5,1897, to take over the business of gas and oil engine makers of a private company of the same name.
  • Crowe and Co, Limited.—Directors: G. F. Crowe (Chairman and Managing Director), J. R. Cross, F. Crowe, and A. Grimshaw (Secretary). OJ^e: Wellington Street, Leeds.—The company was registered March 8, 1893, to acquire the business of warehousemen of the ffim of the same name.
  • Crowe, Wilson and Co, Limited.—Directors: J. S. Robson (Governing Director), W, Fry, W. E. Holmes, and W. A. Lewis. Seci'etary: T. J. Rogers. O^ce: 26, Lower Bridge Street, Dublin, —The company was registered March 12, 1892, to acquire the business of wholesale warehousemen of a private company of the same name, registered August 27, 1877.
  • Crown Cork Co, Limited.—Directors; S. G. B. Cook (Chairman), H. R. Smyth and G. R. Seaton (Managing Directors), C. A. Gaines, H. Coale, and G. D. Mackay. Secretary: W. H. McMillan. O:0ice: 71-73, Paul Street, Finsbury, E.C.—The company was registered January 6, 1897, to acquire letters patent for the United Kingdom and other countries for an invention relating to Crown cork stoppers and Crown bottling mafthinfts.
  • Crown Theatre, Limited.— Direciors: D. Munro, H. T. Munro, andC. Paget (Manager). Secretary: P. E. Barkshire. Offi^ce: 10, Walbrook, E.C.—The company was registered January 5, 1898, to acquire properties at Peckham, S.E., and to erect a theatre.
  • Crowther, Bruce and Co, Limited.—Eirectors: E. J. Bruce (Chairman and Managing Director), D. S. Crowther, J. E. Crowther, and H. Denton. Secretary: D. S. Oldfield, O^ce: Marsden, near Huddersfield.—The company was registered May 18, 1897, to take over the business of woollen cloth manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
  • Crystal Palace Co.—Eirectors: E. Schenk (Chairman), W. B. Keen, L. Sinclair, and C. H. Tripp. General Manager: G. O. Starr. Secretary: J. H. Cozens. O^ce: Crystal Palace, Sydenham, S.E.—The company was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1853 to utilise the greater portion of the International Exhibition building of 1851, and subsequently re-incori)orated under the Companies’ Clauses Act, 1845
  • Cuban Land and Development Co, Limited.—Directors; J. J. Jonas (Chairman), J. S. Bergheim, G. W. Hoghton, and 0. A. lonides. Secretary: A. Mitchell. Office: Dashwood House, E.C.—The company was registered October 26, 1905, in reconstruction of the Cuban Mining and Development Co]], Limited, registered March 18, 1902, to take over the properties of the Cuban Exploration Syndicate]], Limited, registered October 1, 1901. Work on the mining properties has been abandoned, and the company disposed of its petroleum, asphalt, bitumen, and other hydrocarbon properties to the Cuban Petroleum Co]], Limited. The company owns an estate of about 4,000 acres at Bahia Honda. This property is being developed by planting oranges, pineapples, coffee, &c., and the company is also engaged in cattle raising.
  • Cuban Petroleum Co, Directors: J. S. Bergheim (Chairman), G. W. Hoghton (Managing Director in London), R. D. Noble, and A. Vian. Secreta't'y: A. Mitchell. Office: Dashwood House, E.C.—The company was registered September 16, 1902, to take over from the Cuban Mining and Development Co]], Limited, all its petroleum, asphalt and bitumen, and other hydro-carbon properties,
  • Culter Mills Paper Co, Limited.—Director's: J. F. Lumsden (Chairman), T. Crombie, J. L. Geddes (Secretary), A. O. Gill, J. Johnston, and A. Maitland. Office: Peterculter, near Aberdeen.—The company was registered in 1865, and re-registered December 31, 1883.
  • Curl Brothers, Limited.—Directors: H. Curl (Chairman), E. A. Curl, H. L. Curl, and P. E. Curl. Secretary: W. H. Brittain. Office: Orford Place, Norwich.—The company was registered May 18, 1899, to acquire the business of warehousemen and driers of the firm of the same name.
  • Currie and Co, Limited.—Directors: J. P. Currie (Managing Director), G. E. Philip, J. Reid, and H. J. Stewart. Secretary: C. J. Woodard. Office: Eagle Buildings, Edinburgh.—The company was registered April 20, 1898, to take over the businesses of Messrs. Currie and Co., of Glasgow, and Joseph A. Currie and Co., of Edinburgh and Leith, both trading in Portland cement and kindred materials.
  • Curtis’s and Harvey, Limited.— Directors: Col. C. H. Curtis (Chairman), T. R. Curtis (Vice-Chairman), D. J. Metcalfe (Secretary), A. C. Pearcy, and C. L. Watson-Smith. Office: 3, Gracechurch Street, E.C.—The company was registered November 24, 1898, to take over the businesses of certain firms and companies manufactui’ing black and smokeless military and blasting powders, including Messrs. Curtis’s and Harvey, John Hall and Son]], Limited, and Pigou, Wilks and Laurence]], Limited.
  • Customs and Bonded Warehouses Co (Societa Anonima Magazzini Generali), Directors: T. Pignone (Chairman), G. Alberli, W. Brunelli, G. Bruzzone, A. Ceruti, M. Facconi, and G. Krautinger. London Committee: J. A. Hankey and A. Mattei. London Ayent: F. J. Warner. Office: 11, Queen Victoria Street, E.C. — The company was registered November 11, 1897, to acquire a concession granted for ninety years from May 31, 1895, by the Italian government, to erect customs and bonded warehouses in Genoa, and to carry on the business of wharfingers and storekeepers.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information